Terrestrial Orchids

138 posts / 0 new
Last post
WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-01-31

A Cypripedium in flower now:

Cypripedium 'Emil' (C. calceolus x parviflorum)

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

WimB wrote:

A Cypripedium in flower now:

Cypripedium 'Emil' (C. calceolus x parviflorum)

A dramatically handsome hybrid.  Judging from the parentage, it should be perfectly easy and hardy outside. Are you growing yours in a pot or the open ground?  I see this often on the SRGC pages, where apparently a number of Cyp species and hybrids are available and popular in Europe, unfortunately they are virtually unavailable or unobtainable here.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com
 

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-01-31

McDonough wrote:

WimB wrote:

A Cypripedium in flower now:

Cypripedium 'Emil' (C. calceolus x parviflorum)

A dramatically handsome hybrid.  Judging from the parentage, it should be perfectly easy and hardy outside. Are you growing yours in a pot or the open ground?  I see this often on the SRGC pages, where apparently a number of Cyp species and hybrids are available and popular in Europe, unfortunately they are virtually unavailable or unobtainable here.

I grow it outside...perfectly hardy as you say! I have it in the shade in a soil enriched with compost.

In Europe there are a few people who have refined the sowing of these plants and who have made alot of gardenworthy hybrids: Werner Frosch of Frosch's Cypripedium: http://www.w-frosch.de/Cypris/menu_e.htm, Jan Moors of Crustacare: http://www.crustacare.be/Plants/HomepagePlantsEnglish.html and Svante Malmgren: http://www.lidaforsgarden.com/Orchids/cypripedium_eng.htm to name a few. They are starting to be mass-produced too: on gardenfairs in Belgium and our neighbouring countries you can find a lot of these hybrids for sale already, the prices are still very high though, on average 25-35 euro's for a plant. Last year I found a batch of them for sale in a local gardencenter (probably the hybrid Ulla Silkens) for 8 euro's a piece, needless to say, i bought a few  ;).

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

Wow, only 8 euro's each :o  I'll check out those links later, have to get to work now.  Just checked around for USA sources, and lo and behond, there's a source right here in Massachusetts!  Oh no, I can see my money flying out of my wallet already ;)
http://www.hillsidenursery.biz/orchids/index.php#bkmrk67

I might have to indulge in a couple, because if they grow as easily as C. pubescens v. parviflorum or even C. reginae, they would be long-lived investments for the garden.  My larger clump of C. pubescens v. parviflorum went from 32 or 34 pips, to 42 pips this year, the smaller clump is now up to about 30 pips.  Must experiment and divide one of these clumps this year.

Also, Plant Delight's Nursery has a few.  Seems the going price for these beauties is between $50-$100.
http://www.plantdelights.com/Cypripedium-Dietrich-Perennial-Dietrich-Har...

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com
 

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-01-31

McDonough wrote:

Wow, only 8 euro's each :o  I'll check out those links later, have to get to work now.  Just checked around for USA sources, and lo and behond, there's a source right here in Massachusetts!  Oh no, I can see my money flying out of my wallet already ;)
http://www.hillsidenursery.biz/orchids/index.php#bkmrk67

I might have to indulge in a couple, because if they grow as easily as C. pubescens v. parviflorum or even C. reginae, they would be long-lived investments for the garden.  My larger clump of C. pubescens v. parviflorum went from 32 or 34 pips, to 42 pips this year, the smaller clump is now up to about 30 pips.  Must experiment and divide one of these clumps this year.

Also, Plant Delight's Nursery has a few.   Seems the going price for these beauties is between $50-$100.
http://www.plantdelights.com/Cypripedium-Dietrich-Perennial-Dietrich-Har...

Pricey, these things in the States...almost all of the hybrids (I see most of them are frosch hybrids) are very easy-growing!! You should try some...if your wallet can handle that  ;)

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-01-31

A couple of terrestrial orchids in flower here now:

Epipactis gigantea and
Epipactis palustris

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Tony Willis
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-02-01

Bletilla ochracea in bloom now.

Quite pleased about this as I purchased it as Nomocharis aperta and could of course see at once when it came it was something different.

Lori S.
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-10-27

Wow, rarely do misidentified purchases turn out so well!  I assume it is probably pot-grown, perhaps in a greenhouse.  Is it hardy outdoors for you there?   (Just curious... at the other end of the spectrum, Bletilla striata continues to be sold here, mass-produced in the Netherlands I think and sold bare-root, as a "hardy orchid" - fat chance.    :rolleyes:)

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Tony Willis
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-02-01

Lori

it may be hardy but I am not taking that chance. It will overwinter frost free.

Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

I was at The Garden In The Woods (a display garden and natural woodlands of the New England Wildflower Society, in Framingham, Massachusetts, USA) and one plant I always check out in late summer and early autumn is Spiranthes odorata (marsh lady's tresses).  Not the showiest orchid in the world, but interesting for it's very late flowering, and fragrant blooms (scented like vanilla).  And even though native to southeastern US States, primarily in a band that follows the coast, it is perfectly hardy here.  It seems that the colony is getting overcrowded with larger plants; I'm seeing a number of spots in this garden where maintenance appears to be taking a back seat to other priorities.

USDA Plant Profile page (marsh lady's tresses):
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=SPOD

USDA distribution map... if it "touches" a US State, the whole State is shaded:
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=SPOD

Flora of North America distribution map... much more revealing!
http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=8516&flora_id=1

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com
 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments