What do you see on your garden walks? 2012

999 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lori S.
Title: Moderator

More signs of life...
Corydalis nobilis; Taraxacum pseudoroseum; Lewisia glandulosa; Eritrichium pauciflorium ssp. sajanense:

This tiny nub is what I bought as "Rhodiola rosea/purpurea" a few years ago; however, it's a tiny thing that looks and acts differently than my old Rhodiola rosea (e.g. it goes dormant in summer), so I'm wondering if it is actually another species:

Winter colour on Vitaliana primuliflora v. cinerea (with Genista delphinensis in foreground):

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

A close-up that probably explains why it's called Lewisia glandulosa:

Edit:  I picked up B. LeRoy Davidson's Lewisias at the WSW in Everett, Washington and have been perusing this excellent reference. Davidson makes note of the glands lining the edges of the bracts on the flower stem and on the sepals.  I'll have to remember to look closely when it blooms later on. 

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

externmed
Title: Guest

April 1, 2012 NE Massachusetts USA zone 5b to 7a {depending} (3rd "season" in the garden, Galanthus and Crocus gone)
Charles Swanson

NE Massachusetts (New England) USA  zone 6 (5B to 6B)

gardens visited, photographs:  www.flickr.com/photos/wildmeadow

Anne Spiegel
Title: Member

Great color on the corydalis.  Any idea which one it is?  Amazing that you have a townsendia in bloom already.

externmed

Hi Lori, all,
The Corydalis (solida) came from a small local nursery - no info.  The winter has been absurdly warm, but just dropped to normal in the last 10 days.  I don't recall the Corydalis being that red in previous seasons, the return of temps in the uppers 20s F after 60s - 80F may have done it.  This Towndendia was showing buds as soon as winter broke, rothrockii wasn't; and is just in the earliest stages of opening.  If we have a "normal" winter again, may be a month later for both.
Charles Swanson NE MA USA Z -- whatever

In spite of warnings from Lithuanian Rare Bulb Garden, this bed does show signs of "turning into a vast Corydalis plantation", and I'm not upset.  They evaporate very early.  Nothing else that I've ever planted (and wanted) tries to sprout every seed--seemingly more seeds than I ever see on the plants.    

NE Massachusetts (New England) USA  zone 6 (5B to 6B)

gardens visited, photographs:  www.flickr.com/photos/wildmeadow

cohan
cohan's picture

Charles- great colour on that Corydalis! I have one small planting, plus seedlings in pots- and I hope they spread!

Lori- much farther ahead than me, not surprisingly... I'm just happy to have a few areas showing out of the snow  ;D
The only real activity shown so far are a few semps/jovis- amazingly after only being out of the snow a week or so (and fresh snow half the nights) there are signs that some are awake at the highest parts of the bed/first to melt out.. This bed is almost all plants received as 'lost label' from a serious grower, so if she couldn't/wouldn't name them, I wont! But this is clearly enough Jovibarba globifera, prob ssp hirta, two shots taken 4 days apart, March 28 and April 01..

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

Spending a week in the mountains but we had to drive some km to find snow even at 1100m altitude. Like last year much of the snow had gone and the remaining hardfrozen like ice due to very cold weather the last days. This spring has been rather dry up here 1.5cm of precipitation in 2 months.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Mark McD

externmed wrote:

April 1, 2012 NE Massachusetts USA zone 5b to 7a (3rd "season" in the garden, Galanthus and Crocus gone)
Charles Swanson

Wonderful photos Charles.  My Townsendia rockrothii suffered from the early heat wave, and the flowers didn't open properly, the petals looking cut off and underdeveloped or altogether missing.  It has been is a state of pseudo-bloom for weeks.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

cohan
cohan's picture

Nice images, Trond- not too different from the amount of snow here- though instead of the deepest snow being on high spots, its in the shade, and low areas, but we also have a lot of standing water now- one of my favourite times of year visually, since we suddenly have ponds and streams everywhere, and no grass to obscure them...

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Palustris
Palustris's picture

Took these yesterday morning thinking it would be better in case we get snow.
http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/ww32/Owdboggy/April%202012%20Garden%2...
We got snow!

Pages