Photo of the Day 1/15/2016

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
paulhschneider
Title: Member

Wow, thanks for all the great pics. I'm attaching 4 from a Newfoundland trip in  mid July 2011.

Spiranthes romanzoffiana- Hooded Lady's Tresses

Platanthera psycodes- Purple Fringed Orchid

A "field" of Platanthera psycodes

Cornus canadensis in fruit

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

Great pictures, especially the field of orchids!  Wow!  We have a lot of not-very-showy orchid species out here, not many really colourful ones!

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

Epilobium latifolium with Arnica spp. and willows; alpine zone, Banff N.P.:

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

paulhschneider

Nice image Lori ! Thanks.. Here's another group from the Newfoundland trip  7/2015.

Hieracium maculatum- Maculated Hawkweed -growing on a rocky roadside bank

It was not in seed but I found a U.S. source for it & Hieracium pilosella- Mouse Ear. Quackin'Grass Nursery In Connecticut has it. It tends to become a bit weedy so I'll have to deadhead the blooms. 

Lori S.

Yes, it does need controlling after a while.  I grew it and eventually got rid of it many years ago but still find seedlings - attractive plant, nonetheless.

Penstemon secundiflorus

Fermi
Fermi's picture

Lori, 

I love the look of that epilobium!

Here in our garden Cyclamen rohlfsianum is coming into bloom,

Cyclamen rohlfsianumCyclamen rohlfsianum

cheers

fermi

Fermi de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia Min: -7C, Max: +40C

Lori S.

Lovely, Fermi.  Approaching fall there now, I guess?

Easy to grow and a long-lived perennial even in zone 3, Incarvillea zhongdianensis:

Cockcroft

Incarvilleas are one of my favorites, and I. zhongianensis was the first one I ever grew.  Stunning plants!

Claire Cockcroft Bellevue, Washington Zone 7-8

Lori S.

Aren't they!  What a great genus.

Some photos of an extraordinary population of pink-flowered Castilleja (C. rhexifolia?) along a roadside at Kananaskis Country, AB, at about 2200m elevation:

And who's growing Castilleja?  Here's an old thread on the subject:

https://www.nargs.org/forum/remembrance-paintbrush-lost

There are many other threads about Castilleja at the NARGS site that can be accessed by searching.

Lori S.

Just some scenery:

Pages