What do you see in your garden, 2018?

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cockcroft
Title: Member
What do you see in your garden, 2018?

The weather has been erratic, to say the least.  Two weeks ago we had graupel, then the temperature dipped to 22° with highs never reaching 40°.  Today it is in the 60s.  Poor plants don't know what to do.

Hepaticas have been in bloom for a while.  Primulas are just starting.  Pseudotrillium rivale in pots is waking up.  Erythronium albidum is the first to flower.

Cockcroft

Primula elatior and 'Snow White'

Claire Cockcroft Bellevue, Washington Zone 7-8

Cockcroft

Pseudotrillium rivale

Cockcroft

Erythronium albidum -- terrible picture but the plants look nice! smiley

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Claire, a lovely start to 2018. Here all that I see is snow, from a 2 foot Nor'easter (coastal wind driven snowstorm) last week, tonight (3/12/2018) another Nor'easter arrives, expecting another 18" snow.

Mark McDonough Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5 antennaria at aol.com  

rodlutes

I see the same thing that Mark McD sees.  Everything is covered with snow.  At least I am able to get some skiing in and the Seedex seeds that are out for cold stratification have a snow cover.

Rod

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada - Zone 5

Hoy
Hoy's picture

It is a very late spring here (at the west coast of Norway) this year with temperature well below 0C during nighttime but a few spring flowers have put up their heads. 

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Cockcroft

Nice, Trond.  Most mornings have frost here, with some sun during the day.  Spring has not yet sprung, but I will not gripe when I read about the US East Coast!

...Claire

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Hi Claire, 

I've read about the US East Coast too! It is something similar at the east coast here.

Seems at last that the spring has sprung where I live. We will not see night frost during the next 10 days! 

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

RickR
Title: Moderator

Today I called US customs in Washington D.C. to get info I couldn't find on their website.

All Federal offices are closed due to the weather!

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Cockcroft

After a week of weather 10 degrees below normal, with hail and rain mixed with snow, the temperatures warmed up and the plants responded.

Erythronium californicum  

Erythronium americanum

Trillium chloropetalum

Trillium pusillium

Pages