Trillium 2012

75 posts / 0 new
Last post
Madgardener
Madgardener's picture
Title: Guest

Very nice selection from all, really like the yellow kurabayashii.A selection from the garden this week.

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

I'm late to return to this topic, I just don't have enough time to respond as much as I'd like.  So many beautiful trillium being posted here, I like them all, but several cause even more Trillium lust than normal ;) such as kurabayashi yellow form, cuneatum, chloropetalum forms, sessile, and of course rivale, oh my!

I've had lots of trillium in bud for weeks and weeks, finally T. ludovicianum if fully open and looking nice, the center has a rosy glow.  

Mark McDonough Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5 antennaria at aol.com  

WimB
WimB's picture

Wonderful plants, all!

Karl, my yellowish T. chloropetalum is not 'Ice Cream', it was a seedling from open pollinated plants.

Mark, I love T. ludovicianum. But it's not easy to grow over here...I guess I'll have to try it from seed once!

Wim BoensWingene Belgium zone 8a
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

The last days we really got warm weather - the hottest days for two years! Even now 10PM local time it is still 23oC!Two Trilliums with nodding flowers showed the colour at last. The red one I assume is T. erectum but the other I don't know.

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Trond, the red one, with nodding blooms with reflexed petals that form a roughly triangular shape, is Trillium vaseyi.  It's in bloom here too, one of my favorite species.

Mark McDonough Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5 antennaria at aol.com  

Hoy
Hoy's picture

OK, thanks Mark. I got it with no name, just a number!

Any idea what the other is?

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

cohan
cohan's picture

Many nice ones here! So far my Trilliums consist of two pots of seedlings (erectum and grandiflorum, I think, without checking) which after several years are finally making nearly visible leaves  ;D I'll have to look for some with marked leaves, I know someone in Manitoba that was growing one (don't know which) so I should be able to find a hardy enough sp :)

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Lis wrote:

Hoy wrote:

...The red one I assume is T. erectum but the other I don't know.

Could be a white form of T. erectum - it looks like it to me. The white form is not that rare and the red ovary is a strong clue to T. erectum parentage and the wide diamond-shaped leaves are also like T. erectum.  Nice in any case!

Thanks Lis! So the red one I thought was an erectum wasn't and the white one I didn't think was an erectum probably is! Glad to know - I got them with a number and no name :-\

bulborum
bulborum's picture

Maybe T. beige ???

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/518187888211511 Normal Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C      10 F to +20 F RGB or RBGG means: Roland and Gemma de Boer

Hoy
Hoy's picture
bulborum wrote:

Maybe T. beige ???

Is that a name?

Pages