Rocks I would like to have!

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15
Rocks I would like to have!

When I am out for a hike I often find larger and smaller rocks I would like to have in my rock garden. Unfortunately they are either too large to move, or in National Parks or similar areas.But I can take pictures!

The Oslo Rift is known for it's special geology. I won't tire you with details (I am no expert either) but some of the rock is Cambro-Silurian limestone, rhomb porphyry lavas and breccias. Especially the eroded limestone would be nice in a rock garden!

The island Jomfruland is glacial moraine and consist of clay, sand, and any kind of rock mainly from the Oslo Rift but also from the continent (Denmark). Flintstone from Denmark was and still is, transported by the sea ice in winter.

Here are some of the stones, most are limestone:

The two last are breccias (I hadn't any pictures of rhomb porphyry, sorry!):

I guess some of you can contribute with rocks from your area ;)

Fermi
Fermi's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-03-03

Your second picture looks like it's ready to be planted up as a crevice garden! ;Dcheersfermi

Fermi de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia Min: -7C, Max: +40C

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-02-03

Great rocks, Trond! As I'm building a rock bed right now, I just want rocks, period! I have a feeling this one is going to end up being more of a soil and gravel berm, unless I get lucky finding more rocks on the property (where my mom or aunt put them around plants years ago and they have been overgrown- but mostly nothing big)..Driving around, I see some nice big rocks -by big I mean from the upper limits of what you could roll by hand to some a couple notches up from that (left by glaciers) in ditches where farmers have dragged them out of fields... I'm sure I could take them, but no way to get them home... oh well!

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15
cohan wrote:

Great rocks, Trond! As I'm building a rock bed right now, I just want rocks, period! I have a feeling this one is going to end up being more of a soil and gravel berm, unless I get lucky finding more rocks on the property (where my mom or aunt put them around plants years ago and they have been overgrown- but mostly nothing big)..Driving around, I see some nice big rocks -by big I mean from the upper limits of what you could roll by hand to some a couple notches up from that (left by glaciers) in ditches where farmers have dragged them out of fields... I'm sure I could take them, but no way to get them home... oh well!

Don't you have a wheelbarrow  :o ....and take a long walk ;)

Fermi wrote:

Your second picture looks like it's ready to be planted up as a crevice garden! ;Dcheersfermi

Exactly what I wanted had I had it in the garden ;D

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-02-03

yes, but to go 5, 10, 15 miles with the wheelbarrow would be a bit timeconsuming..... :-\

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15
cohan wrote:

yes, but to go 5, 10, 15 miles with the wheelbarrow would be a bit timeconsuming..... :-\

Do it in stead of your afternoon walk ;D ;D

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Toole
Toole's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2010-07-02
Hoy wrote:

cohan wrote:

yes, but to go 5, 10, 15 miles with the wheelbarrow would be a bit timeconsuming..... :-\

Do it in stead of your afternoon walk ;D ;D

;D

About 10 hours traveling time up the east coast of the South Island from where i live ,is the township of Kaikoura, a tourist mecca for whale watching ,however whenever i pass through there i'm only interested in rocks ...and across the road ,wildflowers !!  8)

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill Bottom of the South Island New Zealand Zone 8 maritime climate 1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a. Nil snow cover

Tim Ingram
Title: Member
Joined: 2011-04-27

Dave - I begin to see what turns geologists on! A crevice bed beckons ever more. I remember seeing superb plants of shrubby echiums in Tasmania, but the Valerian looks as though it could become a rather beautiful menace

Dr. Timothy John Ingram Faversham, Kent, UK I garden in a relatively hot and dry region (for the UK!), with an annual rainfall of around 25", winter lows of -10°C and summer highs of 30°C.  

Booker
Booker's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-01-30

Super shots as always, Dave.

Cliff Booker A.K.A. Ranunculus On the moors in Lancashire, U.K. Usually wet, often windy, sometimes cold ... and that's just me!

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-02-03
Hoy wrote:

cohan wrote:

yes, but to go 5, 10, 15 miles with the wheelbarrow would be a bit timeconsuming..... :-\

Do it in stead of your afternoon walk ;D ;D

I think I'd need to leave at dawn.....lol

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-02-03

Dave- those rocks are really beautiful! And the flowers just as impressive :) As interesting as whales are, I'd have difficulty keeping my eyes on the water...- okay, who am I kidding, I wouldn't be trying very hard...lol

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Pages

Log in or register to post comments