Photo of the day - 2015

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lori S.
Title: Moderator
Photo of the day - 2015

A nice little rock garden in northern Banff N.P. - a small subalpine fir, Abies lasiocarpa, managing to hang on in a sheltered spot above treeline, with Sedum lanceolatum and Erigeron aureus:

Lori S.

Alpine tundra in northern Banff N.P.:

Many small grasses... and two birds on the left side of the boulder, water pipits, well camouflaged:

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Steve Newall
Steve Newall's picture
Title: Member

Photo from a stroll on Monday

Vegetable sheep (Raoulia eximia) and an animal sheep (Merino)

Been waiting awhile to record the two together

Balclutha , New Zealand

Steve Newall
Steve Newall's picture

Was in Tapanui , West Otago yesterday . The town is being americanised for the filming of Pete's Dragon starring Robert Redford and Karl Urban . The zip code 10651 doesn't exist in the US (must be a special one for movies?!) but 10650 is in New York state and I think Tapanui will become Millhaven , NY . I hope the film is set in winter or they may have to wait a bit to film outside

Balclutha , New Zealand

Toole
Toole's picture
Title: Guest

[quote=Steve Newall]

Was in Tapanui , West Otago yesterday . The town is being americanised for the filming of Pete's Dragon starring Robert Redford and Karl Urban . The zip code 10651 doesn't exist in the US (must be a special one for movies?!) but 10650 is in New York state and I think Tapanui will become Millhaven , NY . I hope the film is set in winter or they may have to wait a bit to film outside

[/quote]

'Sussing' out a potential lead role were you Mr Newall cool

Invercargill Bottom of the South Island New Zealand Zone 8 maritime climate 1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a. Nil snow cover

Steve Newall
Steve Newall's picture

I auditioned for the part of a troll but dipped out because I was too ugly

Looks like it will be Millhaven in Washington state apparently . There goes my detective work on the zip code

Was back in the hills again last week

Balclutha , New Zealand

Lori S.

Eriophorum sp., cotton grass, in Kananaskis Country, AB, Aug. 10/15:

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

Frozen lake, Banff N. P., Oct. 22/15:

Lori S.

Orchid, Platanthera dilatata, and leather-leaf saxifrage, Leptarrhena pyrolifolia, in wet subalpine meadow:

Lori S.

Castilleja rhexifolia(?), Kananaskis Country high elevation roadside, Rocky Mts., AB, July 20/15:

Lori S.

Antennaria aromatica in Kananaskis Country, AB, ~2200m elevation:

I wondered what this beauty was for a long time but I think the ID is finally confirmed.

Pages