Annual General Meeting, Ann Arbor, Michigan May 2015

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fermi
Fermi's picture
Title: Member
Annual General Meeting, Ann Arbor, Michigan May 2015

Just been catching up with the Conference via the SRGC Forum where Maggi has been re-posting some pics from Bobby Ward and others' Facebook pages. I'm not on FB so I'm glad she has been able to do that to keep n touch.

sigh! One day we'll get back to the States and maybe even get to a NARGS event!

cheers

fermi

deesen
deesen's picture
Title: Guest

I'm not into Facebook either Fermi, seems to be largely populated by the self-thought to be upwardly mobile and not for the horny-handed son's of the soil like us!!

Nice to see the AGM stuff that Maggi re-posted on the SRGC Forum but what's keeping them from here?

David Nicholson in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

RickR
Title: Moderator

We had a few Chapter members from Minnesota at the Annual meeting, but I can't convince any of them to come to the forum!

No facebook for me, either, but I'm glad that some of us participate there.  Despite it's ephemeral nature, if we want to be accessible by the "in" crowd, we need to be there.

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Jeddeloh

Three of us from the Columbia-Willamette Chapter are waiting to fly out of Ann Arbor after a fabulous conference and post-conference tour.  The Ann Arbor group really went out of their way to show off their area and gardens and just generally show us all a good time.  Just a really congenial, happy group of gardeners.  Most of us are going home with way too many plants and rocks.  I'm watching one of my traveling companions try to figure out how she's going to get it all home.  

HIghlights of the trip include visiting woods thick with Trillium grandiflorum, open areas filled with Viola pedata (I want seed folks!) and the adorable Iris lacustris.  Also incredible rock formations known as grykes.  And let's not forget the true pink trilliums dotted around the woods. I had no idea there were so many incredible rock garden plants from an state whose highest point is only about 2000 feet above sea level.  

I was hoping to post some pictures but I'm too tired to figure out how.  

Jan

Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA, Zone 8.  Rainy winters (40 inches or 1 meter) and pleasant dry summers which don't start until July most years!

Jeddeloh

Well, I guess I did manage to post a picture so shall try for some more.

Viola pedata
Trillium grandiflorum
Grykes

Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA, Zone 8.  Rainy winters (40 inches or 1 meter) and pleasant dry summers which don't start until July most years!

Lori S.

Very interesting!  Thanks for persevering and posting, Jan.

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Mark McD

It's all moved to Facebook. I cannot get any of the New England Chapter NARGS members to participate here, I give up. On Facebook (which on many fronts I strongly dislike), the sheer volume of specialized Plant Groups on Facebook is amazing, and the sheer membership and participation are also amazing.  Favorite Facebook Groups include "Woodland Plants for Cold Climates", I spend a lot of time there, over 4000 members there, "Alpine Plants and Rock Gardens" has over 2000 members, and "Bulborum" is amazing in its diversity and activity with over 5000 members. It's a force to be reckoned with; I'm afraid it is winning out.

Mark McDonough Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5 antennaria at aol.com  

Whyer

Is there a reasonable way to see all these photos without getting involved with all the other facebook setup? What is the minimum I have to do?

Brian

HeLP
HeLP's picture

Even the leaders of NARGS refuse to post on the website, why have we spent so much money on something so little utilized?

Harold Peachey USDA Z5, Lamoine, ME

deesen
deesen's picture
Title: Guest

Were I a NARGS member I would have been banging on for some time about this. The SRGC Forum and Web Site goes from strength to strength and the least that can be said is that the NARGS alternative is a considerable disappointment and no doubt a gross waste of member's funds.

David Nicholson in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Mark McD

[quote=Whyer]

Is there a reasonable way to see all these photos without getting involved with all the other facebook setup? What is the minimum I have to do?

[/quote]

It's not difficult to sign up, you can set notification preferences, and other settings, find a few "Friends", if you send me a "friend request", I'll gladly accept.  Then you can go to Groups and search for things that interest you, search on "Alpine" or "Rock Gardening", or plants of Interest like "Hosta", you'll find many many special interest groups. Some are "closed groups", which simply means you click on a "Join Group" button to have a moderator approve subscribing to the group.  One of my favorite Groups (very active) is "Woodland Plants for Cold Climate", currently has over 4600 members.

Mark McDonough Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5 antennaria at aol.com  

Pages