Alpines, 2015

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lori S.
Title: Moderator
Alpines, 2015

Buds visible on Smelowskia calycina and Primula scotica:

Penstemon gormanii - a lovely gift from last year. (Thanks, Linda!)

Aquilegia jonesii, seedlings from Beaver Creek a couple of years ago, and Anemone lithophila, from seed in 2012:

Lori S.

Starting to open, just in time for howling winds, cooler weather and possible snow flurries... Saxifraga oppositifolia and S. oppositifolia 'Theoden', Saxifraga 'Delia', Douglasia montana:

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Hatchett
Title: Guest

April 7 2015 i took these two pictures out in the rock garden, not really alpines im afraid. The Penstemon acaule is a third generation self seed, this a few years old. The interesting thing is these seedlings are much earlier to flower than any of the other P. acaule or P. yampaensis in the garden with the latter usually weeks later than any of the P. acaule. The other photo is a cluster of Lepideum nanum with a volunter Hymenoxis lapidicola seeming to like the company.

Jim Hatchett Eagle, Idaho Zone 3? Elevation  2600', Annual precipitation 11" avg.

Against boredom even the gods struggle in vain" Friedrich Nietzsche

Lori S.

Wow, enviable plants and setting!  

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

deesen
deesen's picture

You grow Saxifraga oppositifolia well Lori. It always goes brown in the middle in my garden.

David Nicholson in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lori S.

Thanks, David.  If true, it's nothing special I do!  Looks like 'Theoden' will not have much of a bloom this year.

deesen
deesen's picture

Maybe my wet Summers don't suit it?

David Nicholson in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Hatchett

I sure wish i could grow S. oppositifolia like that. Mine sort of linger a year or two before they expire, i have given up on them. The Loco weed is starting to kick in now as are some of the Penstemons and Buckwheat. I have included a picture of Talinum spinecens even though it has not started to bloom. i like the look of the knarled branches on the old plants before they have fully leafed out.

Jim Hatchett Eagle, Idaho Zone 3? Elevation  2600', Annual precipitation 11" avg.

Against boredom even the gods struggle in vain" Friedrich Nietzsche

Lori S.

Excellent growth of Talinum spinescens, Jim, and the locoweeds are looking great.

I'm going to see if I can catch up in one fell swoop...

Androsace laggeri (formerly A. carnea 'Alba', I guess) from April 9:

A bad picture of one of my poor, long-suffering Pulsatilla vernalis, out in the awful dry clay along the sidewalk (I should see if I can transplant them)... just before a rabbit (or possibly some passing cretin) nipped off the flower:

Pulsatilla vulgaris 'Pearl Bells'; Thlaspi kurdicum; Smelowskia calycina:

Oxytropis multiceps; a new Primula marginata; Androsace incana:

A new Vitaliana primuliflora (supposedly a different var. than my old plant but looks the same); Primula x allionii 'Aire Mist'; Dracocephalum paulsenii in bud (still not quite open):

A baby Pulsatilla turczaninovii; Potentilla uniflora; Saxifraga 'FJK3': 

Iris taurica; Astragalus loanus; Lomatium nudicaule: 

Saxifraga 'Athena'; Gentiana verna, starting to bloom; Saxifraga sp.: 

Lori S.

Saxifraga 'Jupiter'; Androsace chamaejasme; Erigeron compositus:

And, a little out of sync, as the last of the blooms are now fading (peak was around the end of April), Adonis vernalis

Thlaspi bellidifolium; Thlaspi crassum, a woody one that suffered a bit of die-back; Draba ventosa:

Finally, a flower on Packera/Senecio werneriifolia; Phlox kelseyi:

Cockcroft
Title: Member

Marvelous, Lori!  I love the little pink thlaspis especially.

In my new rock garden, a rabbit has decided it's a salad bar.  sad

Claire Cockcroft Bellevue, Washington Zone 7-8

Pages