Alpine Photos While Thinking About The 2012 - 2013 Seed List...

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mikkelsen
Mikkelsen's picture
Title: Guest
Alpine Photos While Thinking About The 2012 - 2013 Seed List...

As I have been thinking of the possibilities of what might be on the 2012 - 2013 Seed List, I decided to check out some of my "in the wild" photos of some alpine and "desert" alpine gems. Here's one of my favorites: Phlox muscoides OR P. bryoides or, or, or... there are several hybrids in the area where I collected the seed. All of them are sublime specimens of tight, caespitose buns. Grown from seed, 2nd year and flowering. This little beauty loves it moist in the Autumn, Winter and Spring but let it have an 8 week dry season in the Summer. Surprisingly, it doesn't mind several hours of shade during the day.

McGregorUS
McGregorUS's picture

Gorgeous phlox ... and that has really done for any chances there might have been of getting any phloxes like that once the seedex opens !!

Malcolm McGregor Global Moderator/NARGS Editor East Yorkshire, UK

Weiser
Title: Member

JamesWhat a great western phlox!!Collecting seed from the tight buns must be a challenge. What is your method of collection. I have one species in my area, Phlox covillei that I should collect seed from but I have not come up with an efficient way. I really don't relish the idea of laying on my belly with a tweezers and magnifying glass.

From the High Desert Steppe of the Great Basin and the Eastern Escarpment of the Sierra Nevada Range Located in Reno/Sparks,NV  zone 6-7 http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/ John P Weiser

Diane Whitehead

a miniature battery-powered vacuum cleaner?

Mikkelsen
Mikkelsen's picture

Relishing the fact that it is practically a requirement to a) lay on your belly in the sand b) next to a sage brush that jabs a broken branch into your ribs,c) in front of a Bouteloua that tickles your face,d) while daintily squeezing each capsule with tweezers e) while holding a small envelopef) while having sand in your left eye, both shoes and along your belt line    and so much more...

is part of the glory of collecting great seed and havingyour relatives think of you as a madman while you have dreamsof bunneries in flower.

Margin of the Great Basin Desert & Wasatch Mountains 4350' (1326m) elevation; Zone 5a - 6b; Only 3 miles from the moderating effects of The Great Salt Lake, Utah. 

J. Mikkelsen

Weiser

Pretty much what I thought it would be like, except for the sand. I guess I'll have to settle for laying on chunky sharp basalt instead.  ;)

From the High Desert Steppe of the Great Basin and the Eastern Escarpment of the Sierra Nevada Range Located in Reno/Sparks,NV  zone 6-7 http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/ John P Weiser