Fall walks in Ryfylke, Southern Norway

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15
Fall walks in Ryfylke, Southern Norway

Here it is a dull season, still some weeks to the first snowdrops and snowflake open their bells.
While waiting I looked at some pictures from previous times.

The first 4 is from tours in the Ryfylkeheiene, a montane area between east and west in the south of Norway. Not the most alpine landscape but rather wild many places. Used to bring students there to learn outdoor life, ecology and names of common plants (unbelievable what they can not!).
The 4. shows a tourist cabin open for all hikers, but you have to borrow a key. In Norway it is hundreds of such places.

The 5. is a buttercup (Ranunculus montanus) I had for some years but this was the slugs' favorite!
The 6. is from a friend's garden. He collected Chilean firebush seeds in Patagonia and I germinated them and allocated plants to all interested. His specimen flowered two years ago, none of mine have yet!

Anne Spiegel
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-01-26

I remember having the Ranunculus montanus many years ago when I first started the rock garden.  I grew it with Gentiana verna, a lovely combination.  Didn't know at the time that the gentian might be difficult in my conditions.  It was wonderful for a few years (talk about beginner's luck!)  When you start rock gardening in total ignorance, it can be very liberating.  You'll try anything.

Wainwright
Wainwright's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2010-10-24

Love those scenery shots of Norway, Trond. Especially the first one. I was hoping to visit Tromsoe in Norway this summer but it's impossible to find someone to take over my duties in the Alpine Garden where I spend most of my summers. Perhaps next year.

-------------

Rick, I was interested to hear of your success with the lily scales - what temperature do you have in your linen closet?
Topic was split, see: http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=24.msg5856#msg5856)

Jenny Wainwright-Klein. Southern Germany, 90 km north of the Alps. USDA 6

Howey
Title: Guest
Joined: 2010-05-17

Trond: A lovely picture of Embothrium coccineum - something I have tried to germinate from Seedex seeds several times without success.  Is there some special way of doing this?  You say yours hasn't flowered after two years?  Is this the "nature of the beast" or perhaps some special type of fertilizer would make it flower.  Fran

Frances Howey
London, Ontario, Canada
Zone 5b

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

Spiegel wrote:

I remember having the Ranunculus montanus many years ago when I first started the rock garden.  I grew it with Gentiana verna, a lovely combination.  Didn't know at the time that the gentian might be difficult in my conditions.  It was wonderful for a few years (talk about beginner's luck!)  When you start rock gardening in total ignorance, it can be very liberating.  You'll try anything.

The plant didn't know it should be difficult either!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

Wainwright wrote:

Love those scenery shots of Norway, Trond. Especially the first one. I was hoping to visit Tromsoe in Norway this summer but it's impossible to find someone to take over my duties in the Alpine Garden where I spend most of my summers. Perhaps next year.

Thanks, Jenny.
I hope you make the trip sometimes!
I have been there once many, many years ago but then the arctic-alpine botanical garden didn't exist. I hope to go there too in a year or two.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

Howey wrote:

Trond: A lovely picture of Embothrium coccineum - something I have tried to germinate from Seedex seeds several times without success.  Is there some special way of doing this?  You say yours hasn't flowered after two years?  Is this the "nature of the beast" or perhaps some special type of fertilizer would make it flower.  Fran

The seeds I got were collected fresh and I sowed 1/2 of the seeds right away in my cold greenhouse in the fall. 100% germination in the spring, like cress in the pot. Had to discard many seedlings.
The other seeds were stored in the fridge for some months. Maybe 30% germination after sowing in the spring. I didn't keep the seedpots after transplanting the seedlings - maybe more seeds had sprouted later.

All the plants are some years old but only my 2 plants have flowered so far (starting 2 years ago) but they have grown to 2-3m, the other plants are smaller and have not flowered. I think this is due to the soil type.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

Here are more fotos for those not tired yet. Same area.
It is abundant in blueberries/bilberries, bog bilberries, lingonberries, crowberries and cloudberries.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

Memorable photos Trond, thanks for sharing!

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com
 

Boland
Boland's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-09-25

Gee Trond..that area looks so similar to the Long Range Mountains in Newfoundland...feels like I'm at home.  I see why the Vikings took such a liking to Newfoundland!

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-02-03

Great looking area--must be some nice little plants in season!

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Pages

Log in or register to post comments