South African Bulbs 2015

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
RickR
Title: Moderator

That was my question, too.

(I think) I have only seen pics of G. virescens with flowers on long stalks, normal for glads.  Is there anything special with these short ones?

Very spectacular flowers and flowering on all of these.  And your photography skills are not going unnoticed!

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Fermi
Fermi's picture
Title: Member

Yes, it reverts in the morning!

Fermi de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia Min: -7C, Max: +40C

Lori S.

[quote=Fermi]

...It's Gladiolus lilaceus and during the day its a dull reddish color and unscented,

Gladiolus.liliaceus.daytimeGladiolus.liliaceus.daytimeGladiolus.liliaceus.daytime

But at night it changes to a lilac-purple and is strongly scented!

Gladiolus.liliaceus@night-timeGladiolus.liliaceus@night-timeGladiolus.liliaceus@night-time

[/quote]

Amazing!

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Fermi
Fermi's picture

Sorry for not replying earlier - we were away for 2 weeks and I only had the tablet to use which doesn't play well with the NARGS Forum! That's why my reply above isn't signed off!

We got back to a wonderful show of ixias in full bloom.

These are seedlings of "Teal" which is derived from Ixia viridiflora with some seedlings appearing similar to the original species,

Ixia "Teal" and seedlingsIxia "Teal" and seedlingsIxia "Teal" seedlings - pale blue with purple centerIxia "Teal" seedlings - pink with purple centerIxia "Teal" seedling - white with small olive centerIxia "Teal" seedling - blue-purpleIxia "Teal" seedling - blue-purple

cheers

fermi

Fermi
Fermi's picture

[quote=RickR]

(I think) I have only seen pics of G. virescens with flowers on long stalks, normal for glads.  Is there anything special with these short ones?

[/quote]

Hi Rick,

I've only grown this one from seed and only in a pot, so maybe it would get taller in the open ground,

cheers

fermi

Fermi
Fermi's picture

Moraea polyanthos grown from NZAGS Seedex 2011, sown July 2012; first flowering this season

Moraea polyanthos

cheers

fermi

Lori S.

Lovely!  

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Fermi
Fermi's picture

Thanks, Lori,

so many of the South African bulbs are great for our gardens, but some need to be kept in pots or troughs because they are so tiny, others need to be contained to avoid them going feral!

This is Ixia rouxii, a species with black centers which can be stunning when in full flower but quickly become untidy when they start to fade,

Ixia rouxiiIxia rouxii

cheers

fermi

Fermi
Fermi's picture

A new one from a friend who runs Longinomus Plants in Romsey, Victoria:

Ixia polystachya

Ixia polystachyaIxia polystachya

cheers

fermi

Lori S.

Ooh, those dark centers!   Lovely!

Pages