Primula 2013

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

Not much has happened in the last weeks. Today we had the warmest "day" 55F! - it lasted about 3 hours with sun before the clouds came back. Some plants managed to open their flowers but none are very floriferous though. Primula marginata, P. auricula and P minima alba.

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Cockcroft

Primula secundiflora, raised from my own saved seed.

Claire Cockcroft Bellevue, Washington Zone 7-8

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

Absolutely gorgeous array of plants, David! Primula maximowiczii is wonderful, Dave!  I grew it years ago and thought it was absolutely amazing.  I don't have anything to compare to Claire's and Trond's but here is a curious one from the esteemed Pam Eveleigh at last year's CRAGS plant sale:Primula palmata:

And a Primula allionii hybrid planted last year, 'Aire Mist':

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Cockcroft

Lucky for you to get P. palmata, Lori.  I saw it in Sechuan in 2007 and wished I had it!  It grew in damp pine woods and lit up the ground.

Cockcroft

Primula pulverulenta, just starting to go over.

Lori S.

Nothing to compare with that splendour here, unfortunately, Claire!  I'm so envious - I love candelabra primroses but have never had good results from them at all - too dry, too cold??  Yours are absolutely beautiful.

Primula scotica is amazingly tolerant of dry-ish conditions - I didn't expect that.  Here is a bunch on the edge of the tufa garden:

Primula x 'Wanda Red Shades'...or so it was said to be.  Hmm, I think it's another Primula elatior ssp. meyeri, no? Perhaps some tags got mixed up.

Primula elatior ssp. meyeri, going over:

Primula polyneura or one of those it is confused with, starting to bloom:

Primula rusbyi, on one of divisions I did a couple of years ago... whacking the old plant into chunks seems to have restored a bit of life, not an amazing amount though.

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Toole
Toole's picture
Title: Guest
Lori wrote:

Primula rusbyi on one of divisions I did a couple of years ago... whacking the old plant into chunks seems to have restored a bit of life, not an amazing amount though.

That's interesting Lori My plant P.rusbyi,(I think i raised it from seed as P. ellisiae ?), has been in pot for a number of years now and flowered reqularly with a far amount of neglect in terms of feeding, however since it's repot of two years ago I haven't seen any flowers....Maybe it needs a whacking as well  :-\  :)

Cheers Dave

Invercargill Bottom of the South Island New Zealand Zone 8 maritime climate 1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a. Nil snow cover

Lori S.

An update on the Primula rusbyi whacking... it does seem to have revitalized the divisions.  There is a blooming stalk on 3 divisions now.

Primula x juliana 'Allure":

Grown many years ago from seed that was said to be Primula polyneura... apparently more likely a hybrid with, or P. saxatilis?

Mark McD

Seeing all of these lovely Primula, then recently attending (by chance) a Primula Society plant show at a local botanic garden, I'm realizing that I need much more than just two primula species in my garden, I need to work on that!  Years ago I grew P. ellisiae and rusbyi, in pots, and I miss them so.

Lori, your P. scotica look so strong, healthy, and deep colored, I've only managed a couple weak and expiring plants of this one.

David, does that eye-catching 'Ingram's Blue' have anything to do with Tim Ingram? It's a beautiful plant.

Mark McDonough Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5 antennaria at aol.com  

Hoy
Hoy's picture

An unknown Primula germinated where I hadn't sown any and I have no similar in any other pots either. Edit: Probably P munroi syn involucrata.

Trond Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Pages