Photo of the Day 1/15/2016

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lori S.
Title: Moderator

Here are some reasonably "typical" flowers (at least superficially) of Hieracium spp.,  this being Hieracium villosum:

Aubrieta tend to be easy plants for the rock garden and earn their keep with vivid colour, and long bloom (here, at least).  Aubrieta caucasica

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

paulhschneider
Title: Member

Thanks Lori, I'll have to look for both of them.

RickR

Correct on both counts, Paul.   Yellow flowers, and they are seedlings from the NARGS seed ex.  H. maculatum would be very weedy here if I didn't make a habit of removing flowers before they go to seed.  I see that H. pilosella is a noxious weed in Washington state, so take care with that one, too.

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Lori S.

Here are the states and provinces in which Hieracium pilosella has naturalized as an introduced weed:

http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=HIPI

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

Salix barratiana on an alpine ridge in the front ranges, AB, blooming as the last of the snow melts in the meagre shelter behind the patchy line of kruppelholz alpine firs.

paulhschneider
Title: Member

Salix babylonica has given willows a bad name to many folks. They don't realize that Salix is  complex & diverse genus. I wish I could grow the wonderful dwarf willows here but they don't appreciate our thuggy summers.

Lori S.

Stellaria longipes, from various places in the Rockies generally west of Calgary:

Lori S.

Crepis nana:

Mark McD

Lori, love that little Crepis.

Rollercoaster weather here, but relatively little snow, so on the warm south side of the house, the first flowers in bloom are a small patch of snowdrops, and Colchicum kesselringii.  This photo was taken Feb 21, 2016, it was followed by about 3" of icy snow, hail, freezing rain, then followed the next day with 60 degrees F (broke a 130 year record), followed by more deep freezing, now moderating and feeling decidedly spring-like. 

I have two forms of Colchicum kesselringii, one is about triple the size of the other, and earlier blooming too, still waiting for the small one to open first blooms.

ps:  embed images still not working for me, this time tried it with Chrome browser, maybe related to Windows 8.1.

Colchicum kesselringii

Mark McDonough Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5 antennaria at aol.com  

Lori S.

Not an alpine species but an extremely broad-ranging grasslands plant that extends up to some of the exposed ridges in the lower front ranges, Pulsatilla patens is putting up its golden buds even earlier than last year: 

Pages