Photo of the Day 1/15/2016

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lori S.
Title: Moderator

Oops, no, wait, here's a plant - Saxifraga aizoides:

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

Antennaria alpina(?) in Kananaskis Country, AB:

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

Edraianthus serbicus in the tufa garden:

paulhschneider
Title: Member

Lori, Oh my!! I have a thing for Antennarias! Have had mixed results with germination . This mountain beauty is the best I have seen to date. If you ever have a chance to get some seed, please let me know...Great photo BTW as always... 

RickR

Ha!  I seem to have problems germination antennaria seed, too, even though they germinate in my troughs just fine!

They are lovely!

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

paulhschneider

Rick, nice pics, tks for posting. funny how you can get hooked on a particular genus that isn't in the spotlight

Lori S.

Antennaria can be very useful as carefree groundcovers here, and are probably greatly underutilized!  Yes, the little Antennaria I showed is a gem!  I think it's A. alpina but I need to pay attention to the some of the finer details (e.g. whether the uppermost stem leaves are "flagged" with tiny, flat, papery appendages at the leaf tips) next time I run across it.  

Beauties, Rick.  Are the silver-foliaged and the green-foliaged ones the same plant in different light?

Sub-alpine larch, Larix lyallii, through the seasons:  

paulhschneider

Lori, Never met a Larix that I didn't like. Sadly it's a bit too hot for them here in Tennessee. Gotta go to Newfoundland to get a "Larch Fix"!

Lori S.

One from the garden, Primula elatior ssp. meyeri:

And kind of a nice coincidence with the fallen petals of a rosy-bloom crabapple:

Lori S.

Astragalus loanus:

Pages