Penstemon 2012

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fermi
Fermi's picture
Title: Member

I grew this from the Seedex as Penstemon buckleyi,Can anyone say whether it is or isn't true to name?cheersfermi

Fermi de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia Min: -7C, Max: +40C

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

Very pretty!  I don't think it's Penstemon buckleyi though, as it doesn't seem to match the description in Lodewick and Lodewick (Key to the Genus Penstemon) which says for P. buckleyi:

Group XIV, Section Annularius, Subsection ArenariiStaminode expanded, between 1 and 3mm wideAnther not exerted, sacs spread       (Nope, anthers are exerted on your plant)Bracts and upper leaves ovate, blunt with short sharp tips; very broad  (Nope, probably the clearest mismatch.)Corolla medium size or smallStaminode with long beard 1/2 of its length    (Nope. Can't tell.)

So, the next question is... what is it really?   :)   Well, at least it's not Penstemon hirsutus, so you beat the odds!

Bob Nold, the god of penstemons, used to pop in here now and then.  I wonder if his ears are tingling?

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Fermi, a very attractive Penstemon, but I agree with that it's probably not P. buckleyi, but I don't know what species it is.  And I also agree with Lori, you beat the odds whereby perhaps 9 out 10 misidentified Penstemons end up being P. hirsutus. ;)

Sometimes a picture tells it all, take a look at these links, the distinctive thing seen in P. buckleyi flat-faced rotate-shaped flowers, it's a real beauty.

Penstemon buckleyi, excellent photo(s):http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/result.php?id_image=5914

Several photos and color forms (scroll down to photo rows 4-6)http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/scrophularaceae/Recent...here's one of the gallery photos, notice the flat-faced rotate flowers.http://www.flickr.com/photos/88913562@N00/2578016159

Mark McDonough Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5 antennaria at aol.com  

Fermi
Fermi's picture
Title: Member

Thanks, Mark and Lori,I had my doubts when a friend said that the P. buckleyi he'd grown from seed (probably the same Seedex) wasn't correct.Seeing the pics of the true one I realise why I'd ordered it! I'll try again if it's on the NARGS Seedex this year.

McDonough wrote:

And I also agree with Lori, you beat the odds whereby perhaps 9 out 10 misidentified Penstemons end up being P. hirsutus. ;)

Usually the misnamed Penstemons here turn out to be P. serrulatus which is a fine plant in its own right but not one for the trough or crevice garden!This one was different in appearance which is what gave me the hope that it was correctly named - I'm glad I hadn't passed on seed of it but I had printed a pic in our club newsletter :-[cheersfermi

Fermi de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia Min: -7C, Max: +40C

Pages