Miscellaneous Woodlanders

369 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

OMG Wim, you would have to go show me that site!  I want them all!!!  Such a diversity of color and flower forms; I'm intrigued by the bilateral form of many of the cultivars, and of typically the species itself.  I see what you're saying, the Sugar Plum Fairy on that site is very pale pink... whatever yours is, I love the deep color.

I snapped a photo of my plant before leaving on my a business trip, the stems and buds have appeared, although the whole plant has "downsized" since I moved it; didn't seem to like being moved.

Mark McDonough Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5 antennaria at aol.com  

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-01-31
McDonough wrote:

OMG Wim, you would have to go show me that site!  I want them all!!! Such a diversity of color and flower forms; I'm intrigued by the bilateral form of many of the cultivars, and of typically the species itself.

 

;D ;D

McDonough wrote:

I see what you're saying, the Sugar Plum Fairy on that site is very pale pink... whatever yours is, I love the deep color.

Just checked 'Sugar Plum Fairy' in the Saxifrage book of Malcolm McGregor and there it's described as having pale pink flowers and toothed petals, so mine certainly isn't 'Suger Plum Fairy'

McDonough wrote:

I snapped a photo of my plant before leaving on my a business trip, the stems and buds have appeared, although the whole plant has "downsized" since I moved it; didn't seem to like being moved.

I love your form of S. fortunei, looks very airy, almost like lace!

Wim BoensWingene Belgium zone 8a
Toole
Toole's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2010-07-02

Confirmation that i grow other genera besides Trilliums  ;D ;D

Scoliopus bigelovii

While I have a couple of established clumps in the garden these are now ,ever since i extended some plots ,in awkward positions for photographing so rather than move them i plan to plant a number of pots of unflowered seedlings in troughs to be able to enjoy the plants in more detail. 

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill Bottom of the South Island New Zealand Zone 8 maritime climate 1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a. Nil snow cover

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-01-31
Toole wrote:

Confirmation that i grow other genera besides Trilliums  ;D ;D

Scoliopus bigelovii

While I have a couple of established clumps in the garden these are now ,ever since i extended some plots ,in awkward positions for photographing so rather than move them i plan to plant a number of pots of unflowered seedlings in troughs to be able to enjoy the plants in more detail.   

Cheers Dave.

Love that little plant, Dave. Don't  love the smell though  :-X Do you grow Scoliopus hallii too?

Wim BoensWingene Belgium zone 8a
WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-01-31

Checked the name of my Saxifraga fortunei cultivar: it seems to be 'Cherry Pie' instead of 'Sugar Plum Fairy'.

According to Malcolm McGregor's book 'Cherry Pie' is described as: Deep pink flowers, foliage deep green with dark marks at the base of the leaf lobes (like ‘Blackberry and Apple Pie') whilst 'Sugar Plum Fairy' is decribed as: Pale Cream-pink petals toothed rather like ‘Cheap Confections’ but lower petals clearly longer than upper. Leaves large and pale green. Original Japanese name is ‘Toujya’.

Wim BoensWingene Belgium zone 8a
RickR
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-09-21

Those Scoliopus are so cool!  8)

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Toole
Toole's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2010-07-02
WimB wrote:

Love that little plant, Dave. Don't  love the smell though  :-X Do you grow Scoliopus hallii too?[/quote]

I've never noticed the smell Wim.

I'm after S.hallii --Seen it listed a few occasions on the various seedexs however never been allocated it.

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill Bottom of the South Island New Zealand Zone 8 maritime climate 1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a. Nil snow cover

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-01-31
Toole wrote:

WimB wrote:

Love that little plant, Dave. Don't  love the smell though  :-X Do you grow Scoliopus hallii too?

I've never noticed the smell Wim.

I'm after S.hallii --Seen it listed a few occasions on the various seedexs however never been allocated it.

Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave,

I might have some seeds of Scoliopus hallii next year. If I get seed, I'll remember to send some to you.

Wim BoensWingene Belgium zone 8a
Toole
Toole's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2010-07-02

Hello Wim

That's very kind of you --maybe we could arrange a swop for a some Trillium seed.

I've noted my diary and will PM closer to the time .

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill Bottom of the South Island New Zealand Zone 8 maritime climate 1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a. Nil snow cover

Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

Following up on my previous post on Japanese Shrub Mint or Leucosceptrum stellipilum (page 11 of this thread, or use this link: http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=593.msg11128#msg11128), after being gone on a business trip for a week, it is now in flower.  Had to take photos in the rain today, makes the leaves look shiny but they are actually have a textured matte consistency.  It's looking good this year due to all the rain, much to its liking... not a plant for drought conditions.  I like having plants that begin blooming in October, and will grow and flower in the shade!  Several selected views, the first one 1 week ago before my trip, with the buds elongating; the remainder from this rainy day a week later on October 1, 2011:

Mark McDonough Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5 antennaria at aol.com  

Pages

Log in or register to post comments