Image of the day - 2015

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
RickR
Title: Moderator

Look what a better  pocket camera can do when there is enough light.

Dirca palustris (Atlantic Leatherwood) blooms very early, before the leaves emerge.

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Lori S.

What an early shrub!

In the midst of an amazingly early, warm and dry spring, here's today:

Well, thankfully, the sun is out and it's melting.  (I cropped the second photo - the absence of the green ash that we lost in the early September snowfall last year allows a jarring view of the houses down the street.)

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

deesen
deesen's picture
Title: Guest

Is this normal in your part of the world Lori? Here we have gone from a virtually rain free April with the Primulas in the greenhouse feeling that Summer was in to May and today was the first rain-free day of the month with much lower temperatures.

David Nicholson in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lori S.

Yes, I'm afraid it is pretty normal... actually, more normal is a week of snowy, sub-zero misery in April, May (or even, god forbid, June), so we've gotten off very lightly this year.  We could use your rain though, if you wouldn't mind sending it this way.  :-)

Lori Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3 -30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

deesen
deesen's picture

OK Lori, I've got a spare 10 minutes later this evening so I'll reverse the Jet Stream and the prevailing winds just for you.

David Nicholson in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lori S.

Much appreciated!  But I could just as well wait a day or two until it makes its way around in the usual direction... :-)

RickR

I am always amazed at how early growth begins for you, Lori, yet I catch up and pass you as spring progresses.  A snow like that in May here is pretty uncommon, but not unheard of.  Gardeners here would be pulling their hair out in disbelief and "horror".

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Hatchett

Unfortunatly, i am seeing a lot less in one of my gardens as i am in the process of moving it to a different location out back. i am afraid i will likely loose many of the Trilliums and native Orchids but that is the way it goes i guess. As soon as the gardeners are gone this afternoon i will see if i can get some pictures of what is in bloom in the rock garden before the thunderstorms hit.

Jim Hatchett Eagle, Idaho Zone 3? Elevation  2600', Annual precipitation 11" avg.

Against boredom even the gods struggle in vain" Friedrich Nietzsche

Pages