What do you see on your garden walks?

1060 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark McD
Title: Moderator

AmyO wrote:

Not sure if this clears things up...but I just peeked at the label again and it says Spiranthes cernua var. odorata. So we're both right?  ;)

See the earlier thread:
http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=232.msg11449#msg11449

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Anonymous
Title: Guest

Amy,  The variety odorata has been separated out into a different species from cernua.  If you really want to know you will have to get out a ruler and take some measurements.  I have read that 'Chadds Ford' originated in Delaware.  Delware is within the range of both S. cernua and S. odorata.  I would not trust the label from the nursery.  Some of the best botanists in the country have trouble correctly identifying Spiranthes.

It is very possible that S. odorata is hardy in Vermont.  Mark makes a very good case with his trillium example.  I grew 'Chadds Ford' in a pot in Illinois.  It survived the first season but not the second.  Maybe it would have survived if I had planted it in the ground.

James

Barstow
Barstow's picture
Title: Member

In stark contrast to events in the US, we are having the mildest November weather for over 100 years. At the weekend, I counted over 80 species still in flower. Here are a selection (see the file names for ID):

Stephen Barstow
Malvik, Norway
63.4N

Barstow
Barstow's picture

..and a few more. Viola canadensis has been continuously in flower since May!

Stephen Barstow
Malvik, Norway
63.4N

Barstow
Barstow's picture

...and this gave me the opportunity to make a seasonally untypical flowery salad!

Stephen Barstow
Malvik, Norway
63.4N

Anonymous
Title: Guest

I know I said my bunnies like to stay in the backyard where there is more cover.  This picture of a bunny in my front yard is making a liar out of me.  I am posting it anyway because it is too cute.

I think this little guy abandoned his hiding place because he was cold.  The mulch is a much drier place to sit than in wet grass.  The shrub also offered some cover from the rain.

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Fargerik salat, Stephen!
What about bunny meat to the salad?

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Stephenb wrote:

...and this gave me the opportunity to make a seasonally untypical flowery salad!

Stephen, what kind of dressing and seasoning do you put on such a flowery salad? I wonder what it is like to eat such a thing when I see these attractive salads you show us.  Do you ever stir-fry those types of ingredients?

You certianly have lots in flower still!  The funny thing is, here too, we've had a very long warm (sometimes hot) autumn, no frost until near the end of October, many very warm summer-like days, then our freak snowstorm just before Halloween on Oct. 30th, and a week of nighttime temperatures dipping below freezing but days still sunny and warm to the mid 50s F, followed by a recent succession of sunny days in the 60s and even up to 70 F. 

However, the 14" snow and sudden freezing pretty much put the kabosh (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=KABOSH) on the season, and most things are done blooming, with the exception of one late Allium thunbergii form, a tall Aconitum sp, several autumn crocus, a single Galanthus reginae-olgae bloom, and of course Corydalis lutea which never stops blooming until the ground is solidly frozen.  The autumn seasons have been peculiar in recent years, this year no exception, where deciduous trees and shrubs seem confused, not dropping their foliage in timely manner, fall color not as good as normal or skipped on some plants, the late leaf drop making them more susceptible to winter storm breakage.

Euonymus alatus 'Compactus', growing outside my dining room window suddenly turned brilliant color, after staying totally green until rather late in the season and giving little indication it would color up, Here are two photos from today, one taken from inside, the other outside.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Barstow
Barstow's picture

Mark: I use a simple dressing of (outsourced!) olive oil, wine vinegar, salt and pepper with some crushed home-grown garlic. The flowers are undressed, added after the dressing... I've served this kind of diversity salad many times over the last 10 years or so, usually with upwards of 100 species and only one person has declared (openly) that they disliked it (and that was before said person even tried it). This one only had 30 species as darkness descended before I was finished...

I was astonished by how quickly the snow disappeared in your garden and greenery returned! We finally had a proper frost today - had to turn back on my bikeride to work as it was dangerously slippery (still using my summer bicycle without studs in the tyres!)

Stephen Barstow
Malvik, Norway
63.4N

Hoy
Hoy's picture

We have very nice weather now - and it has lasted a week! Although the night temperature has fallen to 2-5C the day temperature is still nice. And there is absolutely no wind; we are not familiar with this kind of weather ;D

A leaf of the tulip tree with dew and the last leaves of the tree against a clear blue sky!

[attachthumb =1] 

I am no rosegrower roses usually don't like the maritime climate here as you can see of the blackspots infested leaf of the rose (Blaze). But it flowers all summer and autumn.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Pages