What do you see on your garden walks 2014?

125 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

Nice to see spring flowers again but I am prepared to wait a few months still to see them in person!

I've wanted to grow and tried Notholirion in my garden but never successed with it. Think the slugs have it on their menue.

I have not tried Penstemon up here at our mountain cabin but maybe some would make it like this Castilleja (miniata?) flowering for the second time now.

The native and very hardy rose Rosa majalis is nice this year too.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Longma
Longma's picture
Title: Guest

Brodiaea elegans, These are really powerful attractors of hoverflies and other pollinating insects, smiley

53.69° N, Dedicated to West Coast Fritillaria, plus three other members of the subgenus Liliorhiza. I grow other Genera, as time permits !

Longma
Longma's picture

Triteliea laxa does very well for us in amongst the grasses of our 'wild' garden, smiley

53.69° N, Dedicated to West Coast Fritillaria, plus three other members of the subgenus Liliorhiza. I grow other Genera, as time permits !

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Ron, your "wild" garden, is it moist or dry? I am looking for some summer flowering bulbs to grow amongst grass in a usually dry (in summer) place.

Do you have other bulbs you could recommend for such a place?

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

Well done with Castilleja miniata, Trond!   They produce copious seed, so I hope they persist and spread for you.

Beautiful bulbs, Ron! I wonder how hardy Tritelia laxa would be?  A quick search suggests zone 6...  hmm, maybe I'll just stick with Ixiolirion tataricum, if I can get a good stand of it going.

Here's one  of those "nature red in tooth and claw" things... a crab spider, not very well camouflaged in this Veronicastrum sibiricum, yet well enough, evidently, to capture an unwary(?) bumble bee:

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Lori S. wrote:

Well done with Castilleja miniata, Trond!   They produce copious seed, so I hope they persist and spread for you.

Thanks Lori - I also hope that they spread, but not too well! I think you are the seed source, BTW!

Are they self fertile so one plant is enough?

Trond

deesen
deesen's picture

Do you find Castillejas easy Trond, I wonder if I might get away with them here in Devon? Lovely by the way.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Toole
Toole's picture

Back in May I cleared a small area, 1.5 mtrs width x 4 mtrs length , near the aviary to accommodate an increasing number of pots of seedling Hellebores and Trilliums and one or two other genera.It had previously been home to a couple of shrubs , Forsythia and Rhodo), which had outgrown their space ,requiring regular pruning to stop them encroaching onto the lawn.    

Unfortunately I had forgotten that the edge of the garden was infested with Ranunculus ficaria cryingwhich are currently in leaf.Rather than applying a herbicide such as Amitrole by paint brush, I've decided that as it dies back by early summer it can stay.Hopefully the Hellebore seedlings can cope with the competition this season ,after that they will be okay .   

Invercargill
Bottom of the South Island New Zealand
Zone 8 maritime climate
1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a.
Nil snow cover

Hoy
Hoy's picture

deesen wrote:

Do you find Castillejas easy Trond, I wonder if I might get away with them here in Devon? Lovely by the way.

Well David, the one in flower is/was easy enough! I just sprinkled seeds where I wanted them to grow and where I thought the habitat was right. I got at least two plants and has grown quickly as you see.

I've also tried Castilleja in pots both with and without companion plants and the seed germinate easily enough and the seedlings grow OK in pots but when I plant them out they disappear. Maybe they'll put their heads up later.

Can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to grow them in Devon, David!

Trond

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Dave, I have too much of Ranunculus ficaria in my garden and I think they are able to suffocate small seedlings. Where I have planted more delicate plants I let the Ranunculus flower a little before I remove all parts above ground. I have two kinds of of it, one type set seeds and the other type increase by bulbils in the leaf axils. The latter one is the worst to spread.

Trond

Pages