Erythronium dens-canis Snowflake start flowering here in the poly-tunnel

Roland

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/518187888211511
Normal Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C      10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means: Roland and Gemma de Boer

Anne Spiegel
Title: Member

Merlin wrote:

It seems the cold weather has slowed things down in my garden. Here are a few in bloom on March 27.
Douglasia nivalis

Jim, that's a really nice Douglasia nivalis form.  It's one of the earlier things here to blooom, but nothing is happening yet.

Peden
Title: Guest

Here are some views of the rocks at Snowdrop time. The only thing blocking critical veiw of the Great Ranges at this time of year is an old Fothergilla. I may begin to slowly piece it out of there this spring. I may not. There's a couple of young Sugar Maples too along the back of the property I consider cutting for the benefit of the rock gardens; but, then again, most people alive today would prefer the maples (syrup; of course!).....choices. Choices. It won't be long before larger perennials obscure the rock works and it will be summer.

Snow that slides off the north eve of the house tends to linger. I think this is when the Saxifrages that live here are happiest. The first photo is a large pieced S. irvingii-jenkense. The second photo is from directly above a crevice bunnery.

It's again time to get things done in the garden.

Michael Peden
Lake Champlain Valley, zone 4b
Four and a half months frost free
Snow cover not guaranteed

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

Great to see the wonders of spring, all.  Here's Bulbocodium vernum on a southwest-slope in the front yard, complete with honeybee:

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Nice, Lori. I had Bulbocodium for several years but they disappeared. Think I have to try again!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Gene Mirro

A bed of Tulipa turkestanica:

[attachthumb = 1]

A bed of marsh marigolds:

[attachthumb = 2]

Erythronium revolutum:

[attachthumb = 3]

Sanguinaria canadensis:

[attachthumb = 4]

Narcissus cyclamineus:

[attachthumb = 5]

SW Washington state, 600 ft. altitude

Gene Mirro

My first Arisaema of the year, A. sikokianum:

[attachthumb = 1]

Narcissus bulbocodium:

[attachthumb = 2]

First Dodecatheon to bloom, D. hendersonii:

[attachthumb = 3]

Some NW native shrubs:  Ribes sanguineum in foreground, Oemleria cerasiformis (Indian plum) in background:

[attachthumb = 4]

Two acorn-bearing shrubs from northern California:  Lithocarpus densiflorus on left, Quercus sadleriana on right:

[attachthumb = 5]

Kalmiopsis leachiana:

[attachthumb = 6]

Tulipa humilis (?):

[attachthumb = 7]

Epigaea repens, started from seed about three years ago:

[attachthumb = 8]

SW Washington state, 600 ft. altitude

externmed

Crocus from NE Massachusetts- NE USA. The best, Crocus tommasinianus roseus was planted in hard clay sod, by chipmunks, but after they ate 97%. Paeonia cambessedesii is in a frost-free room and put outdoors in morning sun for the summer.  Forecast 63F high 23F low this week.  17.5C/ -5C  Somewhat normal unsettled spring weather.

NE Massachusetts (New England) USA  zone 6 (5B to 6B)

gardens visited, photographs:  www.flickr.com/photos/wildmeadow

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Gene, I am impressed! Especially of the Epigaea from seed, I have tried a few times without success :(
Does the Ribes sanguineum flower before the leaves emerge?
Your spring is well ahead of mine. We struggle with the same kind of weather we have had for months: sun, dry desiccating air and night frost. All my evergreen plants suffer badly although I have started watering them in the frozen soil :-\

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture

externmed, nice crocuses and peony! is the peony from seed?

Trond

Pages