What do you see on your garden walks? 2012

999 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

RickR wrote:

An update with Fargesia rufa:
The drought that continued from late August until two weeks ago took its toll.  Despite the ridiculously warm winter, practically every leaf dried up.
So this is the first year that I have decided to treat it as an herbaceous plant, and I cut everything to the ground.  As these bamboos do every year, new culms are generated profusely.  
Many of the stalks themselves were still alive and green.  As I removed them, I notice that they would make nice fillers for dried floral arrangements.  

Had you left them where they were I think they had produced new leaves. But they are pretty in floral arrangements too ;)

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Todd wrote:

Some great plants!  You are ALL ahead of me...including Lori.  We have had 1-3 C for a week now and everything is in suspended animation.  After a record warm April, looks like a record cold May!

Rick, love the foliage on that Peltoboykinia...I have a few seedlings up so keeping my fingers crossed.

Only new alpine opening at the moment is Arabis flaviflora...not yellow as you would think but with a lovely yellow centre.

Todd, don't despire! You are in front of me! We had an record warm March but since it has been cold. Last night we even had another hailstorm and it is still heaps of hail out there  (9AM).
Only some of the earlier Primulas have started flowering and many plants are, as you say, in suspended animation. Some hasn't changed much in two weeks.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

RickR
Title: Moderator

Yes, Trond.  The green stalks would have produced leaves, and even the brown ones, if they act like other years, turn greener as spring progresses.  But the crispy brown secondary "branches" remain, and are unsightly well into summer because growth is poor, comapared to new culms.  Normally I cut them back the old stalks by about half, and even then in the summer, I often end up removing them in favor of the much fresher, robust, and better looking new culms.

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Anne Spiegel

Lots going on in the garden now but I need someone PLEASE to identify this gorgeous astragalus.  Are you listening, Panayoti?

cohan
cohan's picture
Title: Guest

It really is gorgeous!  ;D

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

Boland
Boland's picture

Rick, my Fargesia muriale also took a beating this winter but its not as brown as yours, so I am hopeful it will re-leaf.  I was given a small rufa last summer...I overwintered it in  a coldframe and it appears completely dead...I'll hold on to it a while longer to see if it resurrects like yours.

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

Lori S.

A few things here, after a week of rain and snow...
Caltha leptosepala; Primula marginata 'Sheila Denby' x2; Petrocallis pyrenaica; Primula algida; update on Thlaspi kurdicum:

Looks like Rheum rhizostachyum will bloom this year:

Adonis vernalis:

Arabis androsacea:

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

cohan
cohan's picture

Nice! I especially like the Thlaspi and Rheum in tufa! Do these have the original media you felt was too rich, or do they have the leaner mix?
How big is/(will it be) the Rheum?

west central alberta, canada; just under 1000m; record temps:min -45C/-49F;max 34C/93F; http://picasaweb.google.ca/cactuscactus  http://urbanehillbillycanada.blogspot.com/

cohan
cohan's picture

Does this mean its really spring now??
This is the first to suddenly bloom today (I hadn't even noticed buds) in  a new crocus etc bed at the foot of my new semp bed.. I planted these last fall, and have been watching eagerly since snow melted on this bed some time ago ( I tried to find photos that pinpoint the date, but it seems I was only taking pics of the semps up above..lol-- but it seems the winter snow must have been gone at the beginning of april, with several snowfalls after) and the crocus plants began to appear weeks ago, so I was starting to think there would be no flowers this year! Well, this one began today, with another close behind, and more buds.. These are from a big box store package labelled 'vernus and flavus'.. I assumed this must, then, be flavus, but I guess vernus can be yellow also (though why add flavus if your vernus mix includes yellow, right?) ...anyway, I'm not concerned about labelling big box store bulbs ..
I also have retic Iris in flower, but still can't get a photo I'm happy with-- its  a very dark, deep rich violet I have not yet been able to capture...

Lori S.

cohan wrote:

Nice! I especially like the Thlaspi and Rheum in tufa! Do these have the original media you felt was too rich, or do they have the leaner mix?
How big is/(will it be) the Rheum?

The Rheum rhizostachyum is supposed to have flower stalks to 15cm.  This is the only one of the 4 I planted out that shows signs of blooming this year.  The soil between the tufa blocks in this area is probably richer than it needs to be, although most things seem okay so far.  The Chaenactis alpina I planted last year rotted out during a rainy spell in the same season, however.

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Pages