Weather 2011

84 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

Can't say I am looking forward to the autumn weather! That usually means rain and more rain. . . .Although hail is not uncommon in summer I have not seen it this season. The temperature here at our summerhouse today was 22C, not bad as the "hottest" day this summer was about 26C. It is 17C in the sea and tomorrow I intend to take a morning bath :o

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

deesen
deesen's picture
Title: Guest

Hoy wrote:

Can't say I am looking forward to the autumn weather! That usually means rain and more rain. . . .

Sounds like a Devon August! ;D

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Hoy
Hoy's picture

deesen wrote:

Hoy wrote:

Can't say I am looking forward to the autumn weather! That usually means rain and more rain. . . .

Sounds like a Devon August! ;D

Should wish it lasted only August and not 9 months :o

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

Late summer, and invariably there are Hurricanes brewing in the Atlantic.  So, Hurricane Irene approaches, with the current projected path taking it directly through New England and Massachusetts.  Of course, by the time it hits inland, it'll probably be weakened to a Tropical Storm, however latest projections still call for torrential rains and winds up to 80 miles per hour, which is still a major concern.  Tomorrow, I'll button down the hatches, and secure all movable objects such a deck chairs, BBQ Grill, and other such stuff.

The red dot shows where I am located:

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Hope you don't get hit too hard, Mark! Seems I'll be hit too - in a couple of weeks :o

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/hurricanes/#!/2011/Irene?smid=tw-nytimes

Trond

Mark McD

Hoy wrote:

Hope you don't get hit too hard, Mark! Seems I'll be hit too - in a couple of weeks :o

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/hurricanes/#!/2011/Irene?smid=tw-nytimes

Cool link Trond!

Mark McDonough
antennaria at aol.com

RickR

Good luck to all in Irene's path! 

You coastal and near coastal dwellers have all the fun  :rolleyes:

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Anne Spiegel

Mark, did you fare OK with Irene?  I'm in Chicago babysitting grandchildren so missed everything.  My son reported that the barn was flooded and water was running over the driveway but everything else was OK and we have power.  That's remarkable.  It used to be that 4 minutes of rain was equal to 4 hours power failure on our place.  He didn't check the garden, so who knows?  I've seen the pictures of the flooding in the Catskills and it's unbelievable.  Hope everything is OK with you.

Mark McD

It was uneventful here, only lost power for about 3 seconds, enough to make our computers and cable tv reboot  ;)

Lots of rain and wind, downed limbs and such.  People in some towns lost power for a day or so.  The eye of the storm went further west of us than first predicted, tracking up New York State and towards Vermont, one of the quickest hurricane/tropical storm events in memory.

Mark McDonough
antennaria at aol.com

Booker
Booker's picture

So pleased to hear that your properties are safe folks.  Anne, have you heard if all the Berkshire members have escaped major disruption?

Cliff Booker A.K.A. Ranunculus
On the moors in Lancashire, U.K.
Usually wet, often windy, sometimes cold ... and that's just me!

Pages