Trillium 2011

89 posts / 0 new
Last post
Toole
Toole's picture
Title: Member

McDonough wrote:

Beautiful form and color on that one Dave, I LIKE IT!

Thanks Mark --i have quite a number of different coloured T.angustipetalums ---suggest watch this space  :D

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill
Bottom of the South Island New Zealand
Zone 8 maritime climate
1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a.
Nil snow cover

RickR
Title: Moderator

Love all the interesting foliage on trilliums, too.  Nice plant, Dave!

"suggest watching this space."
Deffinitely!

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Toole
Toole's picture

Thanks Rick.

Another T.angustipetalum just out today showing a yellow center and darker tip colour than the plant posted above.

Also note the different colour of the sepals --in this case they are green with a brown stripe along each edge ....

All just variations on a theme i guess  :)

The yellows and hopefully some lime greens aren't too far away and then we should be into the chloros......

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill
Zone 8 maritime climate
Nil snow cover

Lori S.

Very nice!  They hardly need to flower at all with that foliage!

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

RickR

Toole wrote:

Also note the different colour of the sepals --in this case they are green with a brown stripe along each edge ....

Cheers Dave.

Sometimes I will look at the photo before I read the accompanying post, and I notice that brown penciling right away.  Very fetching!

Toole
Toole's picture

A few more T's in bloom.

Trillium nivale close up.

A couple of T.chloro hybrids .

Another one with yummy foliage   :P----when fully open will be a nice lemon with a red throat.

Cheers Dave

Invercargill
Zone 8 maritime climate
Nil snow cover

RickR

That one is especially scrumptious, Dave!  Does the foliage hold its colors?

Congratulations on your Trillium nivale.  It looks like they might already be suffering from heat, unless that flower is already weeks old.  Here in Minnesota the wild plants bloom while there is still old snow at least in the low places, and well before the last spring snows (early to mid March).

Toole
Toole's picture

Thanks Rick--yip the foliage coloring/pattern is stable.

The T .nivale flower had just opened .A day on and it has already started to bend over towards partial sun.

As i mentioned last season i was down to just a few plants after giving a number away so I'm pleased to see a second plant coming into bloom.I'll let them seed in situ and hopefully build up numbers again.

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill
Zone 8 maritime climate
Nil snow cover

Mark McD

Dave, I have commented on Trillium chloropetalum before, but I must comment again that I find that species worth growing just for the rounded fullness of the foliage alone.  I'll add it to my list of species to be on the look out for.

Recently ripening were two seed pods on my extra super-duper robust Trillium vaseyi, the pods at the perfect level of ripeness, bursting open but not yet shed... I squeezed the gooey contents directly into a spot in the garden; only 6-7 more years to go ;)  Oddly enough, this is the only species that set any seed this year, most unusual to see such paucity of trillium seed.

Don't you just love the "triangulariness" of Trillium vaseyi blooms when the segments fold tightly backwards behind themselves. :D

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

RickR

My trillium seed would have been kiped by ants long before the bursting stage.  But in fact, none of my seven trilliums produced seed this season.  With it being so wet in spring and early summer, pollination was poor on many plants.

Pages