Miscellaneous spring bulbs

147 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

Colchicum kesselringii, starting to go over, but I like how the blooms are gently reclining.  By the way, the flowers are richly fragrant on this tiny plant.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com
 

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

A very handsome species, Mark! Even in its last days.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-01-31

Some bulbs in flower here now:

Bellevalia pycnantha
Hyacinthoides italica
and Tulipa hageri 'Little Beauty'

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Boland
Boland's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-09-25

Nice ones Wim.....I have these as well but late May is their normal flowering time.

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

Wim, your spring is certainly more advanced than mine!
Nice clump of the Italian bluebell you have! I grow the commom and the Spanish bluebells, the Italian I haven't tried but it seems to be a lovely plant. Does it self seed around?

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-01-31

Hoy wrote:

Nice clump of the Italian bluebell you have! I grow the commom and the Spanish bluebells, the Italian I haven't tried but it seems to be a lovely plant. Does it self seed around?

Trond,

I have it since two years and I haven't seen any seedlings yet.

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

WimB wrote:

Hoy wrote:

Nice clump of the Italian bluebell you have! I grow the commom and the Spanish bluebells, the Italian I haven't tried but it seems to be a lovely plant. Does it self seed around?

Trond,

I have it since two years and I haven't seen any seedlings yet.

Wim, is that a good or bad trait? - or it is to early to tell it's nature?
The Spanish bluebell (or possibly the hybrid with the common) selfseeds everywhere her but I do not mind!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest
Joined: 2011-01-31

Hoy wrote:

WimB wrote:

Hoy wrote:

Nice clump of the Italian bluebell you have! I grow the commom and the Spanish bluebells, the Italian I haven't tried but it seems to be a lovely plant. Does it self seed around?

Trond,

I have it since two years and I haven't seen any seedlings yet.

Wim, is that a good or bad trait? - or it is to early to tell it's nature?
The Spanish bluebell (or possibly the hybrid with the common) selfseeds everywhere her but I do not mind!

Trond,

for me that's a good trait...it's growing in my rock garden and I don't want it to take over. I'll check if it even sets seed this year and I'll let you know.
I have Spanish Bluebells in the garden too and they spread very rapidly indeed...I don't mind either.

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Mark McD
Title: Moderator
Joined: 2009-12-14

Nice miscellany Wim.  I wonder how hardy Hyacinthoides italica is; my assumption is that it's not hardy here, but would like to hear the experience of others who are growing this most attractive species.  'Little Beauty' is a little beauty :D, one of my favorites here, should be in bloom in a couple weeks, the Tulipa are jumping out of the ground, with T. bifloriformis always being the first to open, and might in fact open any day now.

A couple of items, on the left is Fritillaria pudica in bud, lots of seedling plants in various years growth.  On the right is Colchicum doerfleri at full anthesis (2 forms).  New leaf rosettes are showing nearby, so I think I'm finally starting to see some bulb increase.  This is a species appropriately sized for a trough; where it's fuzzy leaves could be seen at close hand.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com
 

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member
Joined: 2009-12-15

WimB wrote:

Trond,

for me that's a good trait...it's growing in my rock garden and I don't want it to take over. I'll check if it even sets seed this year and I'll let you know.
I have Spanish Bluebells in the garden too and they spread very rapidly indeed...I don't mind either.

Thanks Wim ;D

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Pages

Log in or register to post comments