Image of the day

1567 posts / 0 new
Last post
AmyO
AmyO's picture
Title: Member

Thanks lori!  someday I'll try to get there.....or at least someplace close.
what a spectacular spot for hiking or skiing! Lucky you!

Amy Olmsted
Hubbardton, VT, Zone 4

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Todd wrote:

Trond, here is an example of a plant from the serpentine Tablelands...you would not think of Sarracenia growing on rocks!  It truly is a rock garden plant here!

Todd, I guess it is wetter in spring?  Or is it a special ecotype tolerating the special soil there?
I have not tried Sarracenia in my garden assuming it needed a bog.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture

RickR wrote:

Isn't it truly amazing how beautiful snow can be...!

Yes - on a picture ;)
Last night we had our first real freezing - 2C. The slush from yesterday is frozen solid, however no problem driving. I like snow when I'm in the mountains skiing but not here - or to be precise - not the kind of snow we get here.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Boland
Boland's picture

Trond, the water table is just below the surface where the Sarracenia grow so the picture is deceiving!

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Todd wrote:

Trond, the water table is just below the surface where the Sarracenia grow so the picture is deceiving!

Then I have to construct a place with high water table ;)

Trond

Howey
Title: Guest

Todd - when I visited St. John's in Newfoundland for a recent NARGs Annual meeting there, some of the spots we visited seemed just covered with Sarracenia purpurea - also Kalmia.  Just amazing!  Fran

Frances Howey
London, Ontario, Canada
Zone 5b

Anne Spiegel

Lori wrote:

Yes, Anne, every time we hike there!  That particular slope in the photo is pretty high up and often not in bloom until mid to late August.

What do you typically see in those screes?

RickR
Title: Moderator

Hoy wrote:

Todd wrote:

Then I have to construct a place with high water table ;)

In Minnesota, Sarracenia is most often found in relatively young bogs that still have a lot of bounce potential nearer to the edge of lakes.

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Lori S.

Spiegel wrote:

Lori wrote:

Yes, Anne, every time we hike there!  That particular slope in the photo is pretty high up and often not in bloom until mid to late August.

What do you typically see in those screes?

Anne, probably the best way I can answer is to link to some of these hike reports:
http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=416.msg4041#msg4041
http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=384.msg3763#msg3763

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

RickR wrote:

In Minnesota, Sarracenia is most often found in relatively young bogs that still have a lot of bounce potential nearer to the edge of lakes.

Ha, muskeg areas are kind of fun to walk around in, aren't they?  So long as you're wearing chest waders... and don't stand around in the same spot for too long!  :D

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Pages