Image of the day

1567 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

AmyO wrote:

Really awesome photos! I would so love to hike there! Where were these photos taken Lori & Trond?
Here are few taken a couple years back on vacation to Wyoming & Utah. What a blast!!  ;D I can't recommend Capitol Reef enough, there were so many side canyons to explore around every bend in the access road. Loads of Castilleja and other natives that I didn't know.

Sorry, I forgot to mention where it is!

The first picture is from Ryfylke, southwest Norway, and the other is view from Tepuy Roraima, Venezuela.
I have visited USA twice but only Florida. I realize - and have done for a long time - that I have much to see still!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Boland
Boland's picture

Incredible sceneries.....our most alpine areas are the serpentine Tablelands.

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

Booker
Booker's picture

Lovely hiking country, Todd.

Falzarego in the Dolomites featuring Papaver rhaeticum.  One of our favourite spots.

Cliff Booker A.K.A. Ranunculus
On the moors in Lancashire, U.K.
Usually wet, often windy, sometimes cold ... and that's just me!

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Todd, it looks desolate but if I am correct you have shown some nice plants growing there!

Cliff,  I have never seen Paper in the wild except in Turkey although they are common some places in Norway. (I do not mean the meadow papavers though!)

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Boland
Boland's picture

Trond, here is an example of a plant from the serpentine Tablelands...you would not think of Sarracenia growing on rocks!  It truly is a rock garden plant here!

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

Terrific photos, Amy!  I do love that kind of scenery! 
All the places shown look like fascinating spots to explore.

To answer your question, Amy, my recent photo was from Kananaskis Country, which is an area comprised of a few adjoining provincial parks in the eastern slope Rockies west of here.  (From Stuart's backcountry ski trip on Sunday) here's a hint of what that neck of the woods (not exactly the same spot) looks like now!

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Mark McD

Snowy!

Here, its been unseasonably warm; reached 60 F today, didn't even need a coat...hard to believe it is December.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

RickR

Isn't it truly amazing how beautiful snow can be...!

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Anne Spiegel

Lori wrote:

Beautiful, Cliff!  Are those Pulsatilla seedheads I see amongst the orchids?  It must have been an amazing sight earlier too when they were in bloom.

I like this photo - the scale comes across reasonably well:

Lori, have you explored the screes in your photo?  Looks like my kind of place.

Lori S.

Yes, Anne, every time we hike there!  That particular slope in the photo is pretty high up and often not in bloom until mid to late August.

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Pages