Image of the day

1567 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kelaidis
Kelaidis's picture
Title: Member

Dear Todd!
    What is mine is your's: I am VERY grateful for all you do for NARGS. You NEVER need to even ask (for one thing, I will never remember what I said you could do anyway!)...
    Fondly,

Panayoti

For every minion of the peaks there are a dozen steppe children growing in the dry Continental heart of all hemispheres still unknown to horticulture.

Boland
Boland's picture

You're the best PK!  Thanks from NARGS for being one of our best supporters!

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

Mark McD
Title: Moderator

I like Monarda, been wondering about the new compact varieties. The only one I'm currently growing is Monarda punctata (spotted bee-balm, dotted horsemint).  It has a wide range and is quite variable; I like those that have yellow flowers.  This one hasn't shown any signs of mildew in the past 4-5 years that I've grown it.  Can be shortlived, but mild self sowing has kept it around.  In the second image, there's a mud dauber milling about.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=MOPU
http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/cs_mopu.pdf

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Kelaidis
Kelaidis's picture

I love those annual monardas as well (suprised to hear that puncatata can be perennial). I just realized I never photographed my big clumps of M. pectinata I finally got going around my garden. I hope THEY self sow!

For every minion of the peaks there are a dozen steppe children growing in the dry Continental heart of all hemispheres still unknown to horticulture.

Mark McD

Kelaidis wrote:

I love those annual monardas as well (suprised to hear that puncatata can be perennial). I just realized I never photographed my big clumps of M. pectinata I finally got going around my garden. I hope THEY self sow!

I don't know M. pectinata so I googled, looks quite attractive in some forms, I like the linear foliage:
http://www.opsu.edu/Academics/SciMathNurs/NaturalScience/PlantsInsectsOf...

The M. punctata plant shown in the two photos above were from 2010.  Here's a photo of the same plant taken mid July 2011.  Whether it sticks around for a third year is anyone's guess.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA, near the New Hampshire border USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Booker
Booker's picture

Another from the Dolomites ...

'Orchid meadow'

Cliff Booker A.K.A. Ranunculus
On the moors in Lancashire, U.K.
Usually wet, often windy, sometimes cold ... and that's just me!

Lori S.

Beautiful, Cliff!  Are those Pulsatilla seedheads I see amongst the orchids?  It must have been an amazing sight earlier too when they were in bloom.

I like this photo - the scale comes across reasonably well:

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Cliff, a wonderful meadow!
Lori, I do understand why you like that photo - I would like to walk there ;)

From places I have walked:

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

AmyO
AmyO's picture

Really awesome photos! I would so love to hike there! Where were these photos taken Lori & Trond?
Here are few taken a couple years back on vacation to Wyoming & Utah. What a blast!!  ;D I can't recommend Capitol Reef enough, there were so many side canyons to explore around every bend in the access road. Loads of Castilleja and other natives that I didn't know.

Amy Olmsted
Hubbardton, VT, Zone 4

Booker
Booker's picture

Beautiful landscapes folks ...

A Dolomite trip-tych from me.  :D

Cliff Booker A.K.A. Ranunculus
On the moors in Lancashire, U.K.
Usually wet, often windy, sometimes cold ... and that's just me!

Pages