Crocus 2011

146 posts / 0 new
Last post
penstemon
Title: Member

Okay, then, here's one of favorite weeds. Taken a couple of hours ago.

Bob

Bob

extreme western edge of Denver, Colorado; elevation 1705.6 meters, average annual precipitation 30cm; refuses to look at thermometer if it threatens to go below -17C

WimB
WimB's picture
Title: Guest

Nold wrote:

Okay, then, here's one of favorite weeds. Taken a couple of hours ago.

Bob

Yeah, it's a shame not all weeds are like that. A wonderful clump of C. speciosus, Bob.

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

penstemon

Thanks. Self sown, too. I take no credit at all, except for not accidentally digging it up.....
There are hundreds of C. speciosus here, and for some reason, the birds don't shred them to pieces like they do the spring-flowering ones.
I also like the fact that, even though they get knocked flat by snow over and over again, more keep coming, until around Christmas, when they finally give up.

Bob

Bob

extreme western edge of Denver, Colorado; elevation 1705.6 meters, average annual precipitation 30cm; refuses to look at thermometer if it threatens to go below -17C

WimB
WimB's picture

Nold wrote:

Thanks. Self sown, too. I take no credit at all, except for not accidentally digging it up.....

;D ;D

Nold wrote:

There are hundreds of C. speciosus here, and for some reason, the birds don't shred them to pieces like they do the spring-flowering ones.
I also like the fact that, even though they get knocked flat by snow over and over again, more keep coming, until around Christmas, when they finally give up.

Birds never shred our Crocusses...I guess the birds where you live are more in heat in spring than our birds  ;) ;)
We only have mice who eat the corms  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  :(

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Hoy
Hoy's picture

I have never experienced birds damaging Crocus but like Wim I suspect rodents do (and squirrels). On the other hand the autumn weather usually is not to the liking of autumn crocuses. However, this autumn is an exception and in hope of better autumn weather in the years to come have I planted several species! My hope is that at least some will proliferate and make displays like Nold's.

One of the few of autumn-flowering species that grows well here is C. banaticus. Unfortunately slugs seem to like it >:(

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

penstemon

I think it's the robin (Turdus migratorius) that shredded crocuses here, but only in "spring". (No crocuses in bloom here as late as the vernal equinox.)
The French Scare Cats posted in the various parts of the garden where crocuses abound seem to have frightened them off; haven't seen this happen since the cats were put in.
I saw a slug in the garden here this year.

Bob

Bob

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Just one slug? I killed several today . . . .

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Boland
Boland's picture

Some autumn crocus growing in our alpine house at work.  Crocus banaticus, C. goulimyi, C. cancellatus and C. tournefortii

Todd Boland
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Zone 5b
1800 mm precipitation per year

WimB
WimB's picture

Todd, very nice plants....love them all but C. goulimyi and C. tournefortii are personal favorites.

Wim Boens
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

deesen
deesen's picture

WimB wrote:

Todd, very nice plants....love them all but C. goulimyi and C. tournefortii are personal favorites.

.......... but I would take the cancellatus.

Very nice indeed Todd and very well grown.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Pages