Alpines in May 2014

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Longma
Longma's picture
Title: Guest

Some amazing plants being shown here, cool. Great to see things are getting going now, after such a protracted 'winter' time.

That Astragalus is indeed a wonder. There really are some beauties is this genus. Can they be grown amongst other plants, i.e. in close proximity?

53.69° N, Dedicated to West Coast Fritillaria, plus three other members of the subgenus Liliorhiza. I grow other Genera, as time permits !

tropicalgirl251...
Title: Member

Lori that is an amazing Astragalus.I planted about 5 different ones only two survived the spring. Hope to plant more this year.

Krish

Saskatoon,SK,Canada
Zone 3a
one of the sunniest cities in Canada.
Temperature range +30C to -38C.
average annual precipitation 347.2mm.

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

Krish and Lori, I like all the plants you show! Hope my new "rockery" will make able to grow some gems like that!

Here are two from my old roof:

Ranunculus parnassifolius                      Saxifraga paniculata & longifolia (still young)

From my new rockery, one of the few in flower, an unknown Allium. The leaves belongs to a primula

and a "weed" in the garden, Ornithogalum angustifolium

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

deesen
deesen's picture

Just wondering if I tried whether I might be able to get away with Astragalus outside here in wet old Devon UK? What do the experts think?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Merlin

i cannot claim expert status but i do grow quite a number of Astragalus and Oxytropis species. I can offer my experience growing them over the last 20 years or so. I live in a cold desert with an annual rainfall of about 12" and 8" the last few years. This has allowed me to grow many of the dryland versions of these genuses. I have never ever been successful starting seeds in a pot and transplanting them to the garden so i stopped doing that a long time ago. What i do is toss the seeds in the areas of the garden i expect them to be growing in as soon as i collect them. I must say that i usually try to get a scoop of soil from near where i collect the seeds in the(likely) misguided hope of establishing some sort of ryzobium population. This works perfectly for my rather lazy gardening habits and my preference for a more rousseauvian sort of rock garden. i never scarify the seeds so the germinations may be staggered. Many species of this genus die back to the ground shortly after setting seed. This is the tricky part for those that get summer rain (which we do not here) ---water these plants during summer dormancy and it is likely they will rot almost immediately. IF you live in a rainy place grow these plants as annual, sow the seed in late fall or winter and most will flower in the spring let the seeds take care of themselves until the next season. Here is a picture I took this afternoon of an Oxytropis trying to outshine Penstemon davidsonii that has grown around it. 

Jim Hatchett, Eagle Idaho USA  Zone 5? 11" average annual precipitation

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

I appreciate very much hearing about the conditions for dryland Astragalus and Oxytropis in nature, Jim - very useful for comparison to gardening conditions, and to the conditions that one may need to create.

I don't know where I left off so I'll start here - apologies for any repeats:

Phlox kelseyi at its height of bloom; Ranunculus eschscholtzii (what a thing to spell!!); Eritrichium howardii:

Lupinus lepidus v. utahensis, starting to bloom;  Primula scotica still blooming; Aethionema saxatilis v. oreophila again:

Androsace sempervivoides; Erigeron compositus v. discoideus; Gentiana verna:

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Longma
Longma's picture

Inspirational plantings Lori !! Growing beautifully, yes

53.69° N, Dedicated to West Coast Fritillaria, plus three other members of the subgenus Liliorhiza. I grow other Genera, as time permits !

Toole
Toole's picture

Longma wrote:

Inspirational plantings Lori !! Growing beautifully, yes

I'd have to agree with you Ron.

Lori-- the Eritrichium howardii is wonderful.

Cheers Dave.

Invercargill
Bottom of the South Island New Zealand
Zone 8 maritime climate
1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a.
Nil snow cover

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

Thank you for the kind comments!  I just started a thread for June.

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Pages