Alpines in June 2014

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
deesen
deesen's picture
Title: Guest

You grow some lovely stuff Lori, your Oxytropis is particularly beautiful.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

Cockcroft wrote:

Marvelous plants, Lori -- ones that in my wet climate I can only dream about!  Thank you for sharing.

Well, Claire, you grow a lot of plants yourself that I can only dream about! (I dream about Loris plants also of course!)

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Some from my newly planted rockery. Most of the plants are still tiny - and struggling very much in this hot and dry weather! (Hot and dry by our standards that is!)

A Campanula I've had in a pot since last spring - and lost the label of curse!   Lewisia pygmaea

Maihuenia poeppigii seedlings - hopfully they'll bloom like this in a few years! (From Argentina)

A Sedum from seed

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Lori S.
Title: Moderator

Yes, I envy Claire's wonderful plants too! 

Wow, the rock garden is looking great, Trond!  i would like to see a lot more of it.  You must be really proud of the cacti seedlings.

Patrinia sibirica; Androsace and Aethionema schistosum; Genista cf. depressa:

Potentilla divina, in bud; Aethionema glaucescens:

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Lori S. wrote:

Yes, I envy Claire's wonderful plants too! 

Wow, the rock garden is looking great, Trond!  i would like to see a lot more of it.  You must be really proud of the cacti seedlings.

Thanks Lori, but it is still a lot of details to work on! And the very dry and sunny weather we have and have had for quite a time (the spring mean temperature was about 3C higher than usual and last spring was the warmest ever recorded for Norway) makes it difficult to plant anything now.

Yes, I was very satisfied when the cactus seeds germinated (outside) and the seedlings seem to enjoy the weather(!) but it remains to be seen whether they will be that happy with the winter weather!

I think I will try some of the plants you have shown but it is very difficult to choosewink

I still have some Saxifraga seedlings waiting but they are small and I don't dare planting them now.

Here are some others thriving in the sun:

Delosperma or something like that.

Campanula pulla (on the right side is a seepage line which makes a moisture gradient from the bottom of the "valley" to the "hills" on both sides)

Mimulus glabratus at the water edge

Trond

deesen
deesen's picture
Title: Guest

Nice rock work Trond.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Thanks David - but I hope much of it will be covered by plants in a few years time!

Trond

Lori S.

Really beautiful, Trond!  I envy the running water feature.

Campanula stevenii v. turczaninovii, kind of big but i like the almost black buds and white calyces:

More yet of Silene bolanthoides - these things are outdoing themselves this year:

Lagopsis marrubiastrum, looking weird; it's surprisingly slow growing (and tiny) but finally has a side shoot developing; Androsace fedtschenkoi, from seed this winter - kind of cute; Erigeron linearis finally showing some petals (I was starting to wonder): 

Carduncellus pinnatus in bud; Townsendia parryi and an oddly coloured Semp rosette (oh, and that is a dandelion in the trough... just experimenting to see if our native alpine Taraxacum ceratophorum(?) is worth growing - probably not!); Aquilegia laramiensis:

Heuchera hallii (and Rhodiola roseum); same Dianthus I showed previously, looking more floriferous now; Myosotis decumbens:

Lori

Lori S.

Thymus neiceffii; ant's eye view of a weird landscape of Sempervivum 'Oddity'; Patrinia siberica:

Campanula tridentata(?); update on Genista cf. depressa; Marrubium lutescens has suddenly exploded into bloom this year:

Edraianthus vesovicii; Aubrieta canescens; Campanula saxifraga:

A plant I got labelled as Aconitum sp. ex. DaXue Shan from Beaver Creek years ago - it has very interesting flowers, and I should try to key it out; Penstemon albertinus:

Lori

Hoy
Hoy's picture

Seems you like blues, Lori! And all in good growth also.

I struggle to keep the plants in my rockery alive these days. The very dry, sunny  and windy weather suck all the moisture from the soil. Even the water seeping through the bottom of it isn't enough. I have to refill several gallons every other day. It is not as warm as it was but much drier (if possible) than it was. This kind of weather has lasted for a couple of months now and it seems to be no end to it either.

Trond

Pages