Alpines in June 2014

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lori S.
Title: Moderator
Alpines in June 2014

I just realized it's June (how'd that happen?) so I've split this off from the May thread.

Phlox hendersonii (x2); Draba rigida:

Aubrieta 'Blue Indigo';  alpine Potentilla seedlings:

A Saxifraga known only as 'FJK3'; Eritrichium pauciflorum ssp. sajanense and a self-sown colour variant:

Pulsatilla ambigua/turczaninovii (x2);  Androsace chamaejasme:

My supposed Pulsatilla patens v. flavescens seedling (I wonder about the identity because it puts out leaves before flowering unlike our native P. patens)  Acck, just realized today that t's actually Pulsatilla albana ssp. lutea.... which makes sense!; unusual flower form of P. vulgaris:

Erigeron montanensis, just purchased from Beaver Creek and planted:

Edit:  I reloaded the pictures that were lost when I split this off into a new thread.

Hoy
Hoy's picture
Title: Member

Lori, you grow an amazing amount of beautiful and different plants!

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Lori S.

So do you, Trond!!  Thank you!

A few more...

Eremostachys speciosa (x2), setting up to bloom; Ranunculus parnassifolius - I've finally learned that the place for these is the rock garden!; Campanula tridentata:

Another pic of Pyrethrum leontopodium... just 'cause I really like it!; Dianthus scardicus setting up to bloom; lots of buds on Silene bolanthoides:

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

deesen
deesen's picture
Title: Guest

Lots of colourful little treasurers Lori.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lori S.

Thanks!  

Penstemon humilis v. brevifolius; Rhodiola rosea; a form of Penstemon procerus (or so I assume - guess I should try to key it out):

Buds on Carduncellus pinnatus (with an immature rhizomatous offset to the upper left - the rosettes do have to be a few years old before the incised leaf form develops); Plantago urvillei; Calceolaria biflora; Arenaria pseudoacantholimon (one plant looking a bit yellowish):

More Lupinus lepidus v. utahensis; Rhododendron mucronulatum 'Crater's Edge'; Alyssum sp., seed collected by M. Pavelka at Tahtali Dag, Turkey:

Potentilla nivea, Mt. Kirigishi form:

Lori

RickR

Your diversity never ceases to amaze, Lori!

That never would have occurred to me about a young Carduncellus.  I suppose that happens with other species of the genus?

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Lori S.

Well, I try!  :-)

I'm afraid I can't answer your question as Carduncellus pinnatus is the only one I have.  I ordered Carduncellus rhaponticoides from the SRGC seedex but, unfortunately, only got fluff in the packet, no actual seed.

Here are some slightly more mature rosettes of Carduncellus pinnatus (amongst Sempervivum) - you can see the leaf dissection starting:

A few more things: 

Gentiana verna still in bloom; another shot of Erigeron compositus v. discoideus; Rheum delavayi from Holubec seed in 2012 - still not ready to bloom!; Eremostachys speciosa starting to bloom - I love these things!!

Arenaria kansuensis - this is an excellent plant!; Dianthus scardicus; Coronilla vaginalis; Erigeron pinnatisectus out along the sidewalk: 

And what was supposed to be Synthyris pinnatifida v.canescens has turned out to be Phacelia sericea!  Still a very nice plant, to be sure, but I'm a little disappointed as Phacelia sericea never lasts more than a couple of years for me.  I must remember not to weed so vigilantly around it - perhaps I'll get some seedlings.

Lori

Cockcroft
Title: Member

Marvelous plants, Lori -- ones that in my wet climate I can only dream about!  Thank you for sharing.

Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington Zone 7-8

Lori S.

Thanks, Claire!  I only wish more people would participate!

Globularia cordifolia; a sickly-looking Cryptantha caespitosa in its first bloom after wintering over; Aethionema schistosum and Androsace villosa jacquemontii(? maybe?):

Edraianthus niveus, and with Pyrethrum leontopodium and Aubrieta caucasica

Geum alpinum 'Beech House Apricot'; Eremostachys speciosa (x3):

Plantago urvillei;  Calceolaria bilfora;  Penstemon pumilus seedling; Erigeron linearis:

A couple of Silene bolanthoides, one variably pinkish and the other more of an off-white; another Aubrieta caucasica, this one with a white eye:

One measly flower on Eriogonum umbellatum var. smallianum; another Ranunculus parnassifolius; Potentilla porphyrantha

Penstemon x 'Pink Holly' and Dianthus; Androsace septentrionalis, looking much different than it does in the mountains; Clematis scottii, first flower in 7 years!! (Who says I'm not patient?!?); Asperula daphneola, planted this year: 

Lori

RickR

Lori S. wrote:

Clematis scottii, first flower in 7 years!! (Who says I'm not patient?!?)

That's right......  you do!  My supposed Polygataum verticillatum bloomed for the first time after six years, and that was from a plant in an 8 inch pot.  And I missed it them!  (Or else they were blooming and I thought they were still buds.)

So much stuff, Lori!  Gems, (almost) every one of them.  And talk about giving it all, gosh, that Penstemon pumilus seedling is glorious.

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Lori S.

A couple more shots of Silene bolanthoides; Eriogonum umbellatum:

Oxytropis viscida (x2); Campanula alpestris; Iris timofejewii reduced to 2 flowers this year (not that it was growing by leaps and bounds prior to this either):

Lori

Pages