Alpines in July, 2014

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lori S.
Title: Moderator
Alpines in July, 2014

A few repeats and some new ones...

Saxifraga x longifolia; Saponaria lutea; Arenaria grandiflora:

Androsace limprichtii; Hypericum aviculariifolium ssp. uniflorum; Salvia tchihatcheffii (x2):

Saxifraga 'Whitehill', being overtaken by Nepeta podostachys... somebody's gonna have to move; Delphinium beesianum; Anthemis cretica ssp. leucanthemoides:

Asyneuma limonifolium; view of part of the tufa garden:

Toole
Toole's picture
Title: Member

They are all lovely Lori.

First of the Hellebores , a Crocus or two as well as number of Galanthus are in bloom down this end of the planet..Just need a day without moisture falling from the sky to be able to photograph them ......frown

Invercargill
Bottom of the South Island New Zealand
Zone 8 maritime climate
1100mm,(40 in),rainfall p.a.
Nil snow cover

Lori S.

Thanks, Dave!  Looks like it's just you and me here these days.  The thought of winter... even one of your winters ;-) ... gives me the heebie-jeebies!  I'm delighted to revel in summertime, even with the hail a few minutes ago (well, it was just pea-size and falling gently for hail...  horribly reminiscent, now that I think about it, of  snowflakes).

A few more... Saponaria x suendermannii; Astragalus angustifolius; Carduncellus pinnatus; Goniolimon speciosa; Gentiana siphonantha:

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Cockcroft

Hi, Lori,

I'm here, just too busy to post pictures -- but am enjoying yours and Dave's immensely.  Thanks for posting!

Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington Zone 7-8

Hoy
Hoy's picture

I am glad at least one person try to keep this forum alive! ..  and with a lot of wish-I-had-plants as well!

I have been a bit busy and lazy (yes both) these weeks so I haven't contributed much.

Trond
Rogaland, Norway - with cool, often rainy summers  (29C max) and mild, often rainy winters (180 cm/year)!

Lori S.

Silene saxifraga; Saponaria bellidifolia; first (and only) flower on seed-grown Eriogonum umbellatum ssp. alpinum; Bolanthus thymoides - a nice cushion, very tiny flowers:

Oxytropis besseyi v. ventosa; (x2); Campanula fenestrellata; Achillea umbellata:

Edraianthus wettsteinii, seemingly?; Dracocephalum multicaule; Achillea holosericea; Stachys nivea: 

Delpinium beesianum (again); Monardella odoratissima v. odoratissima; some extremely old (perennial, that is) Campanula barbata; overhead view of Saxifraga cotyledon 'Pyramidalis':

Lactuca intricata (x2): 

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Gryboski

Nice pix.  I like seeing things I don't know/grow.  Gets my curiosity up; encourages me to look for seed to try.  Thanks for posting them.

IMYoung

Trond's right about the "like to have" plants, Lori - and your garden with tufa and crevice beds is enviable as well. Thanks for sharing. 

Ian  and/or Margaret Young ( -here it is usually Margaret)

Aberdeen , North East Scotland, UK
Zone 8a

www.srgc.net

RickR

Grown from seed labeled Allium zebdanense, it looks and acts a lot like it but apparently is not.  Unlike A. zebdanense, this batch of seedlings likes to send up new growth in the fall, after summer dormancy.  Still, they have earned a place in my garden, since they thrive in the driest shady places.  

July 17 and July 26

Another onion from NARGS seed: Allium carinatum ssp. pulchellum, I hope..... first bloom.  I'll post better picks when the flowers fully open.

Echinocereus viridiflorus and E. triglochidiatus - 3 year seedlings.

Opuntia fragilis.  This one grown from a pad taken last season from a particularly floriferous specimen near Granite Falls, Minnesota.  O. fragilis rarely blooms in the first place, so this may be a great find.  It grew one new pad this spring and a bird pecked a hole in the top.  I expect that is what prompted it to bush out.  A fortuitous happenstance in retrospect.  It's such a cutie: the pot is only 3.25 inches.

Phemeranthus calycinus is a welcome volunteer.  I gets all over in my pot menagerie.

Maybe someone can help me with this one's identification.  It's a small Phemeranthus, and not nearly as showy, but fits better in alpine troughs.  This one is in a 12 inch wide bonsai pot.

Rick Rodich    zone 4a.    Annual precipitation ~24 inches
near Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

IMYoung

You had me a bit confused with "Phemeranthus" - I'm used to Talinum calycinum  It's a dainty thing but still noticeable. I think it's great fun to have such "volunteers" around your pots.

And the little Opuntia is certainly cute - that pot might have been 15 inches across for all we knew. Growing well for you!

Ian  and/or Margaret Young ( -here it is usually Margaret)

Aberdeen , North East Scotland, UK
Zone 8a

www.srgc.net